We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on Neuschwanstein itinerary

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
117 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Advice on Neuschwanstein itinerary

Hello. My famly of 4 will be visiting Munch next month. We will be planning a trip to Neuschwantsein on a Thursday. Here is my current itinerary:

Using bayern ticket, depart Munich at 9:52 (Would it be better to buy ticket to first stop after 9:00 and then use bayern ticket from there?)

Arrive at ticket office by 12:30 to pick up tickets for 2:00 tour.

Eat quick lunch after picking up tickets. Any recommendations?

Take 2:00 tour.

Finish up by 3:00.

?

?

Depart Fussen for Munich on 18:06 train.

What other areas could we explore in the less than 3 hours before our train departs? Would we have time to do the luge? (I don't know much about it at all.) Any recommendations for dinner in Fussen before we leave? Should we consider taking the 19:00 train instead to give us more time? Any advice would be very much welcome. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Fussen
Fussen
Swabia, Germany
Munimondo Tours
Sightseeing Tours
OzTour Munich
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Guide in Munich Irena Radchenko
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Little Bavaria Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
111 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on Neuschwanstein itinerary

My family is planning very similar timing for mid July. We plan to hike down through the gorge to Tegelberg luge after Neuschwanstein. My understanding is the buss can get us back to Füssen from there. We are figuring it will be late evening when we get back to Munich. I'm curious about the use of U-bahn before 9:00am, is the Bayern ticket not valid for the subway, buses, and trams until after 9:00am as well?

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,948 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on Neuschwanstein itinerary

JAH -

For lunch, Hotel Mueller has a couple of choices, a restaurant and the bistro: hotelmueller.com/restaurant-hohenschwangau/r… It is located in the little valley between the castles, near the ticket booth. There is also a little restaurant up the hill, just below Neuschwanstein - it is expensive for what you get, but location, location, location :)

After touring the castle, you should at least walk up the hill a little bit to Mary's Bridge for the iconic views. If you are up for a hike, then as K mentioned, you can hike to the luge - the luge is fun - basically a big long curvy slide.

The Alpsee is a very pretty lake at the base of the castles that you can check out. The town of Fuessen itself is neat - you could give yourself some time to wander around there. Definitely take the later train back to Munich if you can. You are going to be travelling on the Bayern pass, so no need to chose your train now - just know when the last train is and make sure you don't miss it.

K - Correct, the Bayern ticket is not valid for anything until after 9am.

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
santa clarita, ca.
Level Contributor
109 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on Neuschwanstein itinerary

Our experience is that picking up tickets for a 2 oclock tour at 1230 won't leave much time for lunch. You must take the shuttle bus up the hill to the castle. It is not by scheduled tour time. There is always a line for it and it might take a half hour to get up to the castle. Then you must take a 10 or 15 minute walk to the castle and find the line for your tour time. I'm trying not to be a downer but lunch might be stretching it. I don't think they cater to late arrivals. We have had a car and stayed locally so don't know about the train but Fussen is neat town. Take the late train.

Mentioned in this post
Fussen
Fussen
Swabia, Germany
santa clarita, ca.
Level Contributor
109 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on Neuschwanstein itinerary

Our experience is that picking up tickets for a 2 oclock tour at 1230 won't leave much time for lunch. You must take the shuttle bus up the hill to the castle. It is not by scheduled tour time. There is always a line for it and it might take a half hour to get up to the castle. Then you must take a 10 or 15 minute walk to the castle and find the line for your tour time. I'm trying not to be a downer but lunch might be stretching it. I don't think they cater to late arrivals. We have had a car and stayed locally so don't know about the train but Fussen is neat town. Take the late train.

Mentioned in this post
Fussen
Fussen
Swabia, Germany
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
117 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on Neuschwanstein itinerary

One more thing I wanted to add, we were thinking of adding the Tegelberg Luge to our intinerary. How much time should I allow from the castle to the luge? I believe we could then take the bus back to Fussen. How long of a ride would it be? Thanks again for the advice.

6. Re: Advice on Neuschwanstein itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 09, 2014