We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Routing from Munich - need some advice

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
asia
Level Contributor
666 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Routing from Munich - need some advice

Just wondering if the following is feasible by car or is it too ambitious for us? :

Day 2: Munich - Salt Mine Berchtesgaden - Eagles Nest - Koenigssee - Innsbruck overnight

Is the salt mine in Germany or in Austria? Are the tolls for the highway or for entry into Austria?

Day 3: Swaroski Crystal World - Garmisch-Partenkirchen - Neuschwanstein Castle

Day4: Pre historic stone dwellings - Stuttgart - Cologne

Day 5: Cologne

Thanks in advance!

Edited: 10:19 am, May 07, 2013
Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
10,946 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Routing from Munich - need some advice

I can't see any comfortable way of getting from Munich to Berchtesgaden doing those things and then trudging to innsbruck.

Innsbruck is not a hugely exciting town to be honest.

Tolls are for driving on highways in Austria

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Routing from Munich - need some advice

Hi,

I think your trip is way too ambitious and recommend you forget about Stuttgart and Cologne, because you can easily fill your five days in southern Bavaria and the Innsbruck area.

If you drive on the primary highways in Austria you must have a toll vignette sticker properly attached to your windshield.

You can buy a sticker that's valid for 10 days for 8,30 € from a gas station near the border before you enter Austria. Drive without one and you risk a fine of at least 300 € if you get caught.

http://www.asfinag.at/en/maut/vignette

Zed

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
340 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Routing from Munich - need some advice

People always try to do/see to much and sometimes it's quite understandable. You want to get the most from your hard earned money. Any major cities need AT LEAST a 3 days stop, to unload, see and enjoy, like Munich. This is what i do anyways. Packing and unpacking is not a way to spend a vacation.

asia
Level Contributor
666 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Routing from Munich - need some advice

Thanks everyone. Guess I'll skip Innsbruck. The Berchtesgaden and Koenigssee area are too scenic and such beauty that we'll spend more time there. :)

The reason we're heading out to Cologne is coz after that, we're heading off to Amsterdam.

Zed, thanks for the info that the toll is for 10 days. :) I thought it was for per highway. Silly me! Yes, I read about the fines. Very hefty.

Pierre, thanks for the advice, but we're Asians ;) So time is not a luxury that we have in our hands. :) I know that most of my European friends will travel on vacations for 1 month or 2 months. For us, 2 weeks is already a long trip ;) So we'd like to make the most out of it.

Edited: 4:07 pm, May 07, 2013
5. Re: Routing from Munich - need some advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 09, 2014