We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beer!

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
18 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
beer!

Im going to munich for the first time next weekend. any advice on where to enjoy a few good local beers?Also what is the price of a local large beer? A main meal?And a packet of marlboro cigirattes? As I need to think about how much spending money I need. Danke

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,561 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: beer!

Well, given that there are over 100 beer halls and gardens in the city you have your pick. See here http://www.munichbeergardens.com/Main_Page. Note that "next weekend" some gardens may or may not be open, depending on the weather. But the halls always are.

Good spots for first-timers include Hofbräuhaus (touristy but way too much fun to miss) and Augustiner, both at/near Marienplatz. Löwenbräu over by Stieglmaierplatz is just fantastic, more of a local's place and the food is heavenly. These are large halls/gardens.

A Maß (liter) is usually 7 - 8 Euros. A simple meal in a beer hall is usually 10 - 20 Euros, not including pretzels in the baskets on the tables which will run you around 1 - 2 Euros each (don't know where you live, but in the US the bread in baskets is free. doesn't work that way in Munich). Link to the menu at Hofbräuhaus will give you an idea of pricing: hofbraeuhaus.de/de/00/speisekarte_standard_e… Not recommending you eat there (food not that great although the pretzels and wurst are very acceptable), but gives you an idea of prices.

Can't help you on the cigarette front. Note that smoking not allowed in halls and, for the most part, restricted to certain areas of most gardens.

Asuncion, Paraguay
Level Contributor
251 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: beer!

Haha. I was there for three days last month and visited the ones mentioned above. Lowenbraukeller was a short walk from our hotel, Hofbrauhaus, and Augustiner Braustuben.

Augustiner was the smallest, most quaint of the three, but my favorite place as well as my favorite beer.

Did enjoy dinner at all three as well, nothing fancy, but hit the spot and made me happy.

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,561 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: beer!

So Augustiner Braustuben is a positively wonderful spot, but a different place than the Augustiner Großgaststätten

augustiner-restaurant.com/html/english.html

on Neuhauserstrasse (pedestrian zone) near Marienplatz which is huge.

Augustiner Braustuben http://www.braeustuben.de/index_en.php preferable (IMO - food is better for sure) but all depends on where the OP is staying.

Perducci, didn't you just LOVE Löwenbräukeller? Great spot. We rented an apartment just across the street for an entire month (May 2011) and were, shall we say, frequent guests. Glad you had a great time in Munich.

I'm sure this post is very entertaining for the locals who must be horrified that we are recommending the touristy spots :-)

Should OP be interested in small local places (sometimes requiring some travel from central city) I trust that he/she will come back. But after 20+ visits to Munich, if I was there for a short time these are the three places I'd be enjoying a Maß or two.

Prost!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,312 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: beer!

If you can't make it out to the Andechs Monastery brewery, then try http://www.andechser-am-dom.de/ in Munich. Make sure to try their double bock dark beer, but I would greatly limit your consumption of it as it is strong!!!!

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,922 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: beer!

In addition to the excellent suggestions above, check out Weisses Brauhaus, just east of Marienplatz - neat place, really good beer. There is a menu on the site - switch to English language and it should come right up. You can see the prices of the beer and their food.

http://www.weisses-brauhaus.de/

I hope you hadn't planned to do anything else in Munich because with all these suggestions, you won't have time :)

If the weather is nice and you want to check out a beer garden, my favorite thus far is the one at the Hirschgarten, which is over by Nymphenburg Palace.

Asuncion, Paraguay
Level Contributor
251 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: beer!

Augustiner was my favorite, although I thoroughly enjoyed my time at all three halls I went to.

We stayed on Dachauerstrass, meaning Lowenbraukeller was less than a mile away. It was still starkbierfest, so I was able to try Triumphator and got the special half liter Mug... although it was leftover from 2012. Haha.

I will say that my brat sampler plate at Lowenbraukeller was my favorite meal there. Loved the horseradish shavings that look like cheese on top of the plate. Brats and all the side dishes were great, but that was the little extra OOMPH that bumped the plate up a notch.

I do have a friend that moved to Munich, went to Augustiner (his suggestion, I was leaning to Augustinerkeller) and Hofbrauhaus with him. So they benefited from being with someone fluent in language and culture.

My wife and I were on our own at LBK, fortunately the waitress was friendly and spoke excellent English.

Would have checked out others, but we were only there three nights before heading to Paris then Amsterdam. In retrospect, definitely wish we had spent more time in Munich, but when you want to see as much of Europe as possible and can only go every three years, you must make some tough calls.

(trip report is here with some pics: http://perduccitales.wordpress.com/ - unlike other places i've visited, no trip report sticky on the Munich forum)

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,922 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: beer!

"In retrospect, definitely wish we had spent more time in Munich..."

You will just have to go back then :-) Munich is one of my favorite places, but it gets overlooked and shortchanged all the time in favor of the "top tier" cities. Probably for the best though - Munich would get crowded otherwise.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
530 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: beer!

Is the beer served warm?

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,561 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: beer!

No. But it's not ice cold like most beer is served here in the states (because it mostly is so bad here it needs to be cold enough to go down without tasting it!)

Müncheners serve their beer at the perfect temperature to be refreshing and to taste great.

Asuncion, Paraguay
Level Contributor
251 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: beer!

Hey now, US beer is awesome. We've got plenty of great craft breweries sprouting up all over.

That said, as a huge Pale Ale/IPA honk, I did enjoy the the wonderful crisp and simple taste of their helles. And while not ice cold, it certainly wasn't warm, even at the bottom of the mug.