We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train station easy access with big luggage?

Iloilo
Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
train station easy access with big luggage?

We will be taking the ICE train to stuttgart, I was wondering if it is easy accessible with our big luggages and handcarries? Are there lots of escalators or elevators for our baggages?

Anna

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,851 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train station easy access with big luggage?

There is not a lot of need for escalators and elevators, but all major station are wheelchair accessible so with luggage you should not have any problems until the train. Next time try not to pack so much.

Iloilo
Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train station easy access with big luggage?

lol - I'm not packing that much, but we will have one big luggage each and most of us has another wheeled hand carry coz we will be coming from overseas. thanks for the info.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,386 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train station easy access with big luggage?

just make sure you leave yourself plenty of time to get to your platform and then to find out where on the platform your particular carriage will be standing (there is a board which gives this info) - it will not be fun dragging a bag (and worse since you have a wheelie hand luggage bag too) up & down tha aisles to get to your seats - the aisles are not really very wide so store your luggage in the luggage rack at the end of your carriage if you get the opportunity

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
377 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train station easy access with big luggage?

There are both escalators and lifts between U and S Bahn levels and the main 'train' station level in Munich. Lifts are usually found at the very end of the U or S Bahn platform (underground). Aboveground, lift entrances are either within a station (such in Munich Hbf), or in a stand alone lift enclosure (looking a little like a 'phone booth') at U Bahn stations. It is quite easy to get around with one roller suitcase, but more than that is probably a challenge! Pack light, you will be glad you did!

s c
Mumbai (Bombay...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: train station easy access with big luggage?

Is there any luggage trolley (like in airports) at the railway stations of Germany and Switzerland so that we don't have to drag my luggage? Actually I have a back problem so I cannot drag the luggage..

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
4,084 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train station easy access with big luggage?

There are luggage trolleys in Munich. I'm not sure about Stuttgart, but I'd assume they have them, too. It's the small stations you have to worry about. Those don't have trolleys, and sometimes not even elevators or escalators.

You realize that there are three steps at the door of the train? If this is a problem, you'd need to locate the accessible compartment - there's a plan on display that should tell you where it is.

s c
Mumbai (Bombay...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: train station easy access with big luggage?

Firstly thank you so much for the information. Can you tell me about Lindau? Actually we will be traveling from Lindau to Friedrichshafen, from Fredriedrichshafen to Romanshorn, from Romanshorn to Interlaken via Bern..Finally from Interlaken to Zurich..It will be a great help if you can give an idea about these places..Thanks a lot.

8. Re: train station easy access with big luggage?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, May 06, 2014