We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alternative attractions?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Alternative attractions?

Hello everyone,

I was in Munich 2 years ago for 4 days and pretty much did all the touristy/visitor things like museums/english garden/residenz/churches/buildings of interest/isar surfboarders/parks etc.

I'm returning in june for 3 days before I launch back out into the alps and I was wondering if anyone can point me to some not so touristy alternatives this time? Not so well known art galleries? (blue rider and such) or maybe an underground bunker tour (like the ones in Berlin).

Not really into cars so the whole BMW thing is out as well as the zoo/botanical gardens. Would also be interested if anyone can point me to some graffiti hotspots around the city (not to do any you understand, I'm just interested in the artform)

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich
Level Contributor
3,071 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alternative attractions?

Actually, Munich prides itself on *not* having graffiti like other cities...

How about visiting the movie studio where "The Never-ending Story" was filmed?

http://www.filmstadt.de/

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
2,664 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alternative attractions?

The area around Gaertner Platz is nice. The museum of the city has some good, off-beat collections like the Moorish Dancers. The Bavarian National Museum has a section on sculpture (Bolin Collection or something like that) which many miss. It has a separate entrance. Lehel and St. Anna Platz are nice and not so often visited.

Mentioned in this post
Anna Hotel by Geisel
Anna Hotel by Geisel
739 Reviews
Munich, Germany
South Carolina
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Alternative attractions?

Try the Lenbach House, a lovely small villa like art museum.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Alternative attractions?

thankyou for the relies. Lenbach house looks interesting. I guess a wander around the city again will be interesting enough.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,593 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Alternative attractions?

How about the three palaces of Schleißheim? schloesser-schleissheim.de/englisch/schleiss…

These can easily be combined with the aviation department of Deutsches Museum, which is located on a former airfield nearby.

Mentioned in this post
Deutsches Museum
Deutsches Museum
6,848 Reviews
Munich, Germany
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
17,160 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alternative attractions?

We have been to Munich a few times and still haven't seen all of the standard stuff because we are usually too busy hanging out in beer gardens and beer halls - so that is how I suggest you spend a significant portion of your time :-)

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Alternative attractions?

Thanks but I dont drink alcohol..probably why I got to see so much

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,593 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Alternative attractions?

All beer gardens and beer halls serve non-alcoholic drinks, too, so you can enjoy the atmosphere without drinking alcohol.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
12,709 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alternative attractions?

Agree- NOT going to an indoor beerhall for a drink (Apfelschoerle is my alcohol-free tipple of choice) means you miss a lot of atmosphere of Munich. Ditto re an outdoor beergarden- eg Augustiner.

Half an hour to take the weight off you feet!

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
66 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alternative attractions?

A back stage tour of the Operahouse is really interesting , even if Opera is not your thing, the installations, handling and technical setup are impressive. They have the tour information on their web site. Also in english.

Edited: 6:37 am, April 17, 2013