We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Munich-Rome vis train - how should I do this?

Longport, New Jersey
Level Contributor
63 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Munich-Rome vis train - how should I do this?

I have a wedding In Positano in mid June. We have to be there for 4 nights and decided to make a 17 night trip out of it. Flight NYC-Munich and out of Geneva (really cheap). We have 6 nights before the wedding to play with-Initially we were going to go to Spain first but rather than back track from Munich I think we should just take the train down to Rome to meet the family.

We arrive in Munich at 8am ...How do I spend 6 nights between Munich and Rome. Is it possible to see both Salzburg and Neuschwanstein castle while still hitting Florence? I don't see how we can fit in Venice with such short time. Most important thing I want is SCENERY- awesome pictures. We also enjoy off the beaten path places. We love Europe but enjoy small towns over cities. I just feel I'm "supposed" to see Florence and Venice being a seasoned traveler to Europe.

My other option is 3 nights in Munich/Salzburg. Flight to Olbia, Sardinia 3 nights, then fly Naples to Sorrento. All cheap direct flights.

Thanks for any help!

Mentioned in this post
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Spain
Spain
Europe
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Neuschwanstein Castle
Neuschwanstein Castle
14,866 Reviews
Hohenschwangau, Germany
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Europe
Europe
World
Olbia
Olbia
Sardinia, Italy
Naples
Naples
Province of Naples, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
Province of Naples, Italy
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,323 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Munich-Rome vis train - how should I do this?

If you are in Munich, and do not plan to stay overnight in Salzburg, both Salzburg and Neuschwanstein can easily be covered by day trips using 'Bayern ticket'. Bayern ticket costs € 22 for the first person, and an additional 4 Euro for the next person, valid on weekdays from 9am, until 3am the next day, as long as you only use Regional Bahn (RB) and Regional Express (RE) trains. Munich to Salzburg using RE is only a two hour ride. Official info on 'Bayern' ticket here:

bahn.de/i/…laender-ticket.shtml

I am not sure how you will be getting back to Geneva from Rome, has this flight been arranged?

In terms of travelling time by train, there is a direct train leaving at 11:30am everyday from Munich to Venice (to Florence requires one train change minimum), arriving in Venice at 18:30 approx. Book at www.bahn.com, prices start from € 49 for advance booking 92 dayrs prior to travel date.

From Venice to Rome, high speed train takes 3 hours 40 minutes.

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Geneva
Geneva
Canton of Geneva, Switzerland
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Florence
Florence
Longport, New Jersey
Level Contributor
63 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Munich-Rome vis train - how should I do this?

Thanks for your help. I am flying out of Geneva from either Mallorca or Ibiza, I chose Geneva because easyjet had numerous flights from the islands, so it worked out. We head to Spain for 7 nights after the wedding, so this is just the beginning of the trip.

The trains seem to work however since we can't dedicate enough time to Rome, Venice, and Florence. I wonder if renting a car in Verona or Venice and driving to Positano would work. It's not too bad $50 per day. And rather than train thru the cities and rushing to see sights we could take our time thru Tuscanys small towns? And just save Rome for next trip.

Edited: 8:36 pm, March 17, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Ibiza
Ibiza
Balearic Islands, Spain
Geneva
Geneva
Canton of Geneva, Switzerland
Spain
Spain
Europe
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Florence
Florence
Verona
Verona
Province of Verona, Italy
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Longport, New Jersey
Level Contributor
63 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Munich-Rome vis train - how should I do this?

Also since you seem familiar with the area which route to Italy is more scenic Garmisch-Innsbruck-Verona or Munich-Salzburg-Venice? ... I'm guessing that they are different routes?

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Innsbruck
Innsbruck
Tirol, Austria
Verona
Verona
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,323 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Munich-Rome vis train - how should I do this?

Can't comment on the scenic roads, since I never drive in Italy. As far as train journeys are concerned, here are some guides from the famous 'Man in Seat61'

Innsbruck - Verona: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uucEm3op7uc

Munich - Venice; same route using Brenner pass

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Innsbruck
Innsbruck
Tirol, Austria
Verona
Verona
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
14,333 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Munich-Rome vis train - how should I do this?

The route from Salzburg to Venice via Villach is not the same - but whichever way you go you have to cross the Alps which ensures scenic routing

Mentioned in this post
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Villach
Villach
Carinthia, Austria
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,074 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Munich-Rome vis train - how should I do this?

I entered the Verona-Innsbruck-Garmisch route into bahn.de and it tells me that Garmisch is cancelled. The stops between Verona and Munich show as Innsbruck- Jenbach- Wörgl

Is this because of flood damage or ???

Between Venice and Villach is by bus, I believe. I was also considering the Brenner Pass route.

Mentioned in this post
Verona
Verona
Innsbruck
Innsbruck
Tirol, Austria
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Villach
Villach
Carinthia, Austria
Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich
Level Contributor
3,522 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Munich-Rome vis train - how should I do this?

the garmish line should be reopened tonight so that shouldnt be a worry for you

8. Re: Munich-Rome vis train - how should I do this?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, June 22, 2014