We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Day Trip from Munich

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Florida
12 posts
Save Topic
One Day Trip from Munich

We are planning a four day family trip to Munich in May. Our plan is to spend three days locally with one day (Sunday) allocated to visit Zugspitze and Neuschwanstein Castle. We will be using a Bayern ticket and leave Munich at 6:30 AM which arrives in Garmisch about 8:00 AM. After touring Zugspitse, we plan to take the 12:10 bus to Fussen which arrives at 2:55 PM. After touring the Castle, we plan to take the train back to Munich ( they run approximately every hour). In your opinion, is this feasable or are we being overly aggressive? Any comments would be appreciated!!

Plattsmouth Ne
Level Contributor
341 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Day Trip from Munich

I have been to Neuschwanstein Castle as a day trip from Munich. I thought it was enough to make for a very nice day trip with time to do everything and no rushing. Also, you can't use the Bayern Ticket before 9:00 AM, unless you're going on a weekend.

Edited: 3:37 pm, March 17, 2013
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,140 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: One Day Trip from Munich

If you're start that early this is possible. Albeit of course a longer day trip. On a Sunday you can start that early also on a Bayern Ticket.

Reserve your ticket/tour for Neuschwanstein Castle in advance.

https://www.hohenschwangau.de/765.0.html

Melbourne, Florida
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: One Day Trip from Munich

Thanks for the response. We realize this will be a long day, but do not want to use two days traveling outside of Munich (so much to see and do in the city).

Melbourne, Florida
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: One Day Trip from Munich

Thanks for your response!!

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,022 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One Day Trip from Munich

I personally would do this trip in reverse order, that is, start with Neuschwanstein. That way you wouldn't have to stress about getting there on time to pick up your reserved tour tickets. You have to be there at least an hour in advance to pick up your tickets, and you should reserve them ahead of time if possible, to avoid lines for same-day tickets.

You can get between Garmisch and Hohenschwangau either by taking the bus or by taking the scenic route, via Reutte in Austria. It takes about the same amount of time.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One Day Trip from Munich

I am planning to do a Castles tour out of Munich next summer. I'll be travelling with my two grandchildren, 13 and 10 and I don't want to drive. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced way to do this? Would it be better to do an overnight rather than trying to do everything in one day?

thanks for any advice

Edited: 9:51 pm, March 19, 2013
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: One Day Trip from Munich

Bayern ticket works

8. Re: One Day Trip from Munich

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, March 21, 2014