We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Munich - too much time? Or too little?

KCH
Sydney
Level Contributor
950 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Munich - too much time? Or too little?

Hi guys,

I am thinking of staying 5 nights, 6 days in Munich.

- 3 days in Munich, then day trip to Salzburg, another day trip to Neuschwanstein, half a day to Dachau memorial site,

then night hotel train to Berlin.

Is that too much or too little? Is 3.5 days too long to spend in Munich? May be do another day trip to Nuremburg?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Munich - too much time? Or too little?

It is enough time, there are many nice things to see in and around Munich.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,064 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Munich - too much time? Or too little?

The fear of staying "too long" in a large city is alien to me. Like all of them, Munich could keep you busy for weeks.

KCH
Sydney
Level Contributor
950 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Munich - too much time? Or too little?

BlandineForberg... so true!

Are there any day trips other than Salzburg, Neuschwanstein that are not to be missed?

Is it feasible to do Nuremburg as well?

Thanks again!

Edited: 8:16 am, March 15, 2013
Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,064 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Munich - too much time? Or too little?

Nürnberg, Regensburg, Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Mittenwald, Landshut, Berchtesgaden, Augsburg, Kempten, Passau, Andechs abbey, Chiemsee, Freising, the small towns along the Romantic road like Nördlingen, Dinkelsbühl, Landsberg... plenty of options. The choice depends on your interests.

Edited: 8:34 am, March 15, 2013
Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,824 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Munich - too much time? Or too little?

That sounds like a perfect plan. If you've never been to Munich then sign up for the Mike's Bike Tour. It's a VERY touristy thing to do, but it is quite a lot of fun and an easy way to have a light introduction of Munich's highlights.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Munich - too much time? Or too little?

Forget about Nuremberg, it's not a very attractive city.

KCH
Sydney
Level Contributor
950 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Munich - too much time? Or too little?

Yes I am thinking I am trying to do too much. Salzburg and Neuschwanstein are probably enough

Columbia, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Munich - too much time? Or too little?

KCH

Yes, save a little time to “enjoy” Munich, not just “see it”. Munich is about the biergarten culture and atmosphere. Those things can be seen if rushed, but not experienced. 3.5 days in Munich would be a good first taste. Just don’t spend it all running from one sight to another, leave some stuff to make you want to come back and really enjoy the things you do see.

Our plan on vacation is we always have 1 or sometimes 2 things to do in a day. Sometimes the 1 thing will take 6 hours, sometimes 3 hours. But getting there and back and doing it, we always see something cool or interesting along the way (ie. a nice park to get lunch in, cool biergarten to relax for a few hours, nice church or neighborhood to take pictures in for a couple hours). If we want to check it out we have time. But I know everyone moves at their own pace.

The Dachau site is a great half day trip. Wish we would have spent a little time to check out the actual town a little, to see what it had to offer.

And your day trip to Neuschwanstein, can take all day. There is of course Schloss Neuschwanstein and Marienbrücke but also Schloss Hohenschwangau and the village of Hohenschwangau and the close by town of Füssen. With touring these, walking about, eating, enjoying and traveling from Munich and back, that will easily take a full day. But well worth it.

Salzburg is also a great choice. Hohensalzburg Castle, the Altstadt, Mirabell Palace, Motzart stuff, the Sound of Music stuff, Hellbrunn. You could spend all day just walking around taking pictures of all the fountains! But please take time to go up to the Stieglkeller for a bier in there biergarten that overlooks Salzbuger Dom, the Altstadt and all of Salzburg. Dusk is a great time.

PROST!!

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,734 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Munich - too much time? Or too little?

KCH.. stay with your original plan rather than trying to cram Nuremberg in as well. There is plenty to see & do in 3 days in Munich. . We had 6 nights in Munich and did a walking tour our first day and spent the rest of that day just wandering the Alstadt and re-visiting several places we'd stopped at briefly on the tour. Munich is a lovely city just to 'be' in ... grab a coffee & cake and watch. The Deutsches Museum is wonderful if your are a technology/mechanical fan .. my brother said he could have stayed all day when he visited a few years ago ... I found it too much after a few hours. Horses for courses I guess.

Dachau took us a long half day and we chose Herrenchiemsee rather than Neuschwanstein to look at King Ludwig's castles - my hubby is still recovering from a smashed kneecap and advice on this forum was that the terrain round Neuschwanstein was not suitable for him.

We also did a long day trip to Salzburg using the Bayern ticket so we couldn't leave before 9am.

We loved Nuremberg and wished we'd had more than the two days we stayed. Maybe this is your excuse to plan a return trip?

cheers

helen

Plattsmouth Ne
Level Contributor
341 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Munich - too much time? Or too little?

After all these good responses, there really isn't much more I can say than, " No matter how much time I spend there, I can never get enough of Munich".