We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is German Rail Pass valid on EC196 Munich Zurich

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is German Rail Pass valid on EC196 Munich Zurich

EC196 is one of only 4 direct trains between Munich and Zurich in the entire day. It therefore is most convenient for my travel with family (and of course the luggage).

I am, however, not able to locate any option to make a reservation on this train on my 10-day German Rail Pass.

When I do try to make only a reservation on the DB site (without buying a ticket), I get the message "It is not possible to make a reservation for international connections at www.bahn.de without the purchase of a ticket".

Which leads me to the question - is my German Rail Pass valid on EC trains at all ?

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
39,894 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is German Rail Pass valid on EC196 Munich Zurich

A German Rail Pass covers the EC 196 only on its part in Germany, thus till the German/Austrian border between Lindau and Bregenz.

> When I do try to make only a reservation on the DB site (without buying a ticket)

A "seat reservation" is only possible online for domestic trips inside Germany. It does not depend on what rail pass or ticket you have. In Germany, Austria and Switzerland a seat reservation does not depend on a ticket (or rail pass) at all.

You can

a) not reserve seats at all (seat reservations are not compulsory)

b) reserve seats when your are in Munich at the counter. Or anywhere else at the ticket counter in Germany (and also most neighboring countries).

c) you call the DB UK or Germany booking center to make this seat reservation

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Lindau
Lindau
Swabia, Germany
Bregenz
Bregenz
Vorarlberg, Austria
Austria
Austria
Europe
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is German Rail Pass valid on EC196 Munich Zurich

Thanks abalada ! That was really useful and simple to understand !

I will contact the DB booking centre in my city for the reservation - there is one. I checked :)

Your reply, though, has brought forth two further questions :

i. I have both, a German Rail Pass and a Swiss Pass. Do I need to buy an OBB ticket as well - for the stretch that the train runs in Austria ? If yes, between which stations - Lindau and St. Margrethen ?

ii. Will my Swiss Pass be stamped on the train itself when we enter Switzerland ?

Mentioned in this post
Austria
Austria
Europe
Lindau
Lindau
Swabia, Germany
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
39,894 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is German Rail Pass valid on EC196 Munich Zurich

If it makes sense to make this trip on 2 rail passes is a question of its own. The answer will be however: No. Buying discounted tickets for this trip in advance would be less than 2 rail pass days.

i.) You can buy at the counter in Munich - not online - a ticket from the German/Austrian border to the Austrian/Swiss border. This will cost slightly less than a ticket from Lindau to St. Margrethen.

ii.) Have your Swiss Pass validated at the counter in Munich.

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Lindau
Lindau
Swabia, Germany
Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is German Rail Pass valid on EC196 Munich Zurich

Thanks once again abalada !

I will make further queries online and do the calculations once again to understand which of the two – 2 Rail Pass days or a discounted advance fare – is more economical. Certain specifics of my itinerary may still make the former a better choice but I need to confirm this.

Thanks also for the guidance regarding validation of the Swiss Pass.

All said and done, this will be a unique experience for us. Travelling through 3 countries in a 4.5 hour journey !

5. Re: Is German Rail Pass valid on EC196 Munich Zurich

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, March 13, 2014