We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Days in Munich

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
3 Days in Munich

Hello everyone, I'm an America student studying abroad in Manchester, England this semester. We have a 3-week spring break, so I've decided to spend that time traveling Europe. I've chosen 7 cities (Munich, Prague, Vienna, Venice, Florence, Rome, & Paris) and plan to spend about 3 days in each. I've never been to Europe before, but I'm already guessing I'll be back multiple times if I can. I'm a particular fan of beautiful architecture, historical landmarks, and anything that really helps me feel like I'm in another country.

Do you have any suggestions on what I should see/do while in Munich?

Thanks a lot!

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Europe
Europe
World
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Obelisk
Monuments & Statues, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Sendlinger Tor
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Siegestor
Fassade des Hirmer Stammhauses
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
77 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 Days in Munich

I would forget Munich and go to Berlin - it is easy access Berlin-Prague by train -

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,222 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 Days in Munich

7 cities - 3 days each ... now factor in travelling time and you're going to short change most of these places. Better IMO to pick fewer and see more of them than wizz through and miss the 'feel; of each place.

Flights from the UK to europe are cheap so you could easily do a few long weekends if you can fit them around your studies rather than speed through those currently on your list. We recently spent a week each in Berlin & Munich and could easily have stayed longer in both.

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 Days in Munich

I've already bought my ticket to Munich to start off my trip as well as hostel reservations, so I'm definitely going. I know every place deserves far more than 3 days, but it's what I'm doing, I'd like to see at least a bit of these places, and if I really like them I can always return.

I've also bought the Eurorail pass, so I'm definitely doing these 7. I actually have 24 days, which should take care of the traveling days.

I chose Munich over Berlin because I've read that Berlin is rather westernized and I'd prefer a more European city different from what I'm used to. I don't care much about nightlife or drinking, I just like walking around interesting cities and taking in the sights.

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
12,643 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 Days in Munich

Munich is well worth a visit. It's easier in scale terms than Berlin.

What will you find interesting? History? Scenery? Attractions like BMW tour, Deutsches Museum?

Mentioned in this post
Deutsches Museum
Deutsches Museum
6,802 Reviews
Munich, Germany
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,222 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 Days in Munich

seems a shame that you didn't research the 'value' of a eurail pass before buying - very few people here (or on the train travel forum or on www.seat61.com) would recommend it - point to point tickets on www.bahn.de would have been considerably cheaper

re things to do in munich - see the 'things to do ' list upper left - and check out a walking tour

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 Days in Munich

I read a Rick Steves guidebook that suggested the ticket; I didn't really understand the whole train system but this way, even if it was more expensive, I feel less worried about making sure to buy the right tickets. It gives me some flexibility and peace of mind.

@ethelman2: Scenery is probably my most important; I want to soak in the atmosphere of a city and see some interesting sights. If they're historical as well, even better!

Plattsmouth Ne
Level Contributor
341 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 Days in Munich

Considering your stated interests, you made the right decision in not following the advice given in post #l.

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,932 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 Days in Munich

I can hardly believe Rick Steves would actually suggest a Eurail Pass. He's the one that always points out how reservations are not included and cost extra and how point to point tickets are usually cheaper.

But you've purchased the Eurail so that's that. Hope you have a great time. Having been to Europe many times the previous poster was correct that you should cut down on the number of cities and spend more time in fewer places. But you're young and you'll figure that out as you go just like I did when I was young. Be safe - that's the most important thing.

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Columbia, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,408 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 Days in Munich

@ “I didn't really understand the whole train system but this way, even if it was more expensive, I feel less worried about making sure to buy the right tickets. It gives me some flexibility and peace of mind.”

Jon there is something to be said for this. Sometimes I feel the same way. That’s why I usually buy the Bayern Ticket from a person at a counter at a couple Euro more. To keep me from messing up at the ticket machine and picking the wrong thing or something. I know everyone says it’s very simple and the instructions can be changed to English, but for me paying the extra 2 Euro is worth the peace of mind that “I didn’t screw this up”. I have enough to worry about on vacation, with missing trains or getting on the wrong train and ending up in Bratislava instead of Berchtesgaden etc etc.

I know that in your situation we are not talking about an extra 2 Euro, but the principle about having 1 less thing on your mind is the point.

And now since you have the rail ticket, you can spend your time figuring out the best way to get your money’s worth out of it.

Happy planning and PROST!!

Mentioned in this post
Bratislava
Bratislava
Bratislava Region, Slovakia
Berchtesgaden
Berchtesgaden
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 Days in Munich

Hi,

Getting back on topic... As far as things to see or do in Munich, I suspect weather will certainly be an influencing factor (you don't say when your spring break is).

I enjoyed the walk from Karlsplatz to Marienplatz and just exploring some of the little side streets along the way.

Of course, there's Munich's iconic Frauenkirche with its twin onion-domed steeples, and the New and Old City Halls (Neues Rathaus and Altes Rathaus). The Neues Rathaus has a glockenspiel that plays at 11 AM, noon, and 5 PM.

Not far away is the Viktualienmarkt, an open-air food market that has an amazing variety of food available. Worth a walk-through in my opinion.

I don't know whether anyone will be foolish enough to be in the frigid water in the spring, but there's a standing wave on the Eisbach River as it enters the south end of the Englischer Garten, and people will actually surf on that wave in the river.

http://youtu.be/H6W6aliUgMI

(Apparently there ARE people foolish enough! :-) )

The Englischer Garten itself is Munich's equivalent of NY's Central Park or Chicago's Grant Park. There are several beer gardens throughout the park. A fun way to explore it is on a bicycle if you can find any to rent (I had a friend who loaned me one of her bicycles).

If the weather forces you inside, check out the amazing Deutsches Museum, filled with transportation, technology, and engineering. It's huge, and you could spend an entire day in it.

There are several art museums and the Residenz palace (which I've not been to yet) as well.

And, of course, there's the Hofbräuhaus if you want to quench your thirst in a tourist-centric establishment. (I preferred sitting beside the lake in the Englischer Garten at the beer garden there.)

Hope that helps and enjoy your visit!

Zed

Edited: 12:23 pm, March 06, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Marienplatz
Marienplatz
20,075 Reviews
Munich, Germany
Viktualienmarkt
Viktualienmarkt
2,656 Reviews
Munich, Germany