We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oktoberfest Hotel - Opening weekend

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Topic
Oktoberfest Hotel - Opening weekend

Hi All,

I am travelling to Europe from Australia and am planning to pass through Munich, arriving for 5 days from the 20th of September until the 25th. The sole reason for traveling to Munich is for Oktoberfest.

I am having difficulty finding suitable accommodation. Firstly I ask, is the busiest weekend the first? Am i likely to find more accomodation towards the last half of the festival, and if I do stay in the last half of the festival do I miss out on anything, or is it the same atmosphere from start to finish? My budget is $100-150 AUD per person per night and am travelling with a buddy, so would need two double beds or a two bedroom apartment.

What options are there close to the festival?

Thanks very much for your help.

Adam.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,210 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oktoberfest Hotel - Opening weekend

All three weekends are extremely busy, it doesn't matter much. Atmosphere is more or less the same as well, people are more fresh in the beginning of course.

Middle weekend is called 'Italian weekend', relatively more Italian visitors.

Best is to avoid weekends altogether, and go during weekdays.

Hotel rates are in euros, we don't use Australian dollars here.

Why do you need two double beds for 2 persons? A room with two double beds will be sold as a 4 person room, so extremely expensive. You might want to book a twin room with two single beds.

Edited: 8:54 am, February 18, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Oktoberfest Hotel - Opening weekend

The reason i need to double beds, is becuase myself and my friend are both tall males and a single bed, as an adult isn't very comfortable.

I will have a look into dates, but need to find a place that is suitable at this stage.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9,002 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oktoberfest Hotel - Opening weekend

Avoid weekends completely. YOu can easily come to Munich and not get in any tent at all.

As mentioned above the Hotel rates are more or less a flat rate for the entire Oktoberfest. Reckon on at least a 50% markup on standard rates. Closer to the Wies'n itself reckon on closer to double the going rate.

A double room to yourself is going to cost.

This is purely an example. The Hotel am Ostpark is a very short walk to the "Michaelibad" U-Bahn station on the U5. The U5 goes directly to the Oktoberfest grounds "Theresienwiese". U-Bahn takes 20mins and runs every 10mins. Peak times every 5 mins.

mvv-muenchen.de/fileadmin/media/Dateien/plae…

www.ostparkhotel.de/index.php?m_id=4&s_id=2

I know the area very well. Across from the Hotel is the Ostpark - municipal park - which has my local biergarten in it.

I always take the U5 to the Wies'n (Oktoberfest)

On the above network map even on the S-Bahn lines (suburban trains that run every 20mins) you will find similar inflated Hotel prices.

Dachau is a good place to stay. You can get the S-Bahn to the Hackerbrücke (takes 20 mins and runs every 20mins) and walk down to the Wies'n

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,210 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oktoberfest Hotel - Opening weekend

Look into the dates first, then select on booking.com for a 4 person room

Edited: 6:00 am, February 19, 2013
5. Re: Oktoberfest Hotel - Opening weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 21, 2014