We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, England, and Ireland Trip

Dallas, Texas
1 post
Save Topic
Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, England, and Ireland Trip

My wife and I will be taking a trip trip to Germany this April. We land in Frankfurt and plan on going on to Munich, possibly Prague, then up to Berlin! We would plan on going to Amsterdam and into Belgium before going on to England, and fly home from Ireland! We plan on being there for 18 days! Questions; should we buy a rail pass or book as we go? We were in Italy and France on a rail pass before and it seemed hard to book for just a few rail pass seats on several occasions. We will be in Munich for spring fest is this worth staying for a few days? Has anyone done a similar trip in the Past? Any details or information would be greatly appreciated.,Any Hotel recommendations in these locations?

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,389 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, England, and Ireland Trip

Am I reading correctly ... all this in 18 days? ... sorry, IMHO that's crazy - all you'll see is the inside of a plane or train - do remember you effectively lose a day each time you change location

rail pass... do you mean Eurail? if so they are not good value at all. check the train forum for lots of info on this. We are not long back form 5 weeks in germany (all travel by train) - all booked directly on the german rail website www.bahn.de - excellent 'saver' fares if you book 92 days in advance. www.seat61.com is also a fantastic source of info on trains.

The search box (directly above your post & in the same place on all forums - as a newbie you may have missed seeing it) should be your first stop ... you can find out heaps from trip reports etc

cheers

helen

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,525 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, England, and Ireland Trip

Your schedule is beyond ambitious, to my mind.

I think you need at least 2-3 days in each city to get anything out of them at all. Munich certainly is worth that, as is Prague. Berlin could do with a lot more, and I might drop it altogether simply because you don't have time to even scratch its surface. Amsterdam is a nice city but Netherlands has so much more- eg Delft. After that you might do well to fly to UK direct. Easyjet flies into Southend now which is a very easy airport - UK, like Germany-could fill several days just on a whistlestop tour, but transport here is pricey. And Eire is worth a couple of days in Dublin, and a few in Kerry (at least!)

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,629 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, England, and Ireland Trip

It really is too much to do unless all you want is the shortest of visits in each place,just to say you have been there. Maybe chop out Belgium,UK and Ireland and do the rest or do Amsterdam ,UK and Ireland.

If you are going late April then beware that the end of the month is the "coronation" of the new king,most hotels in or neasr Amsterdam are already sold out! Visit Delft in place of Bruges they are quite similar and Delft is an easy day trip from Amsterdam.

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,951 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, England, and Ireland Trip

Too many places. I think you are going to Frankfurt because of an air ticket idea. I've been there, and it's fine, but not worth a visit if you haven't been to Berlin or Prague.

Perhaps fly to Berlin (at most $100 p/p more?), train to Prague, cheap flight with hand luggage to Amsterdam, train to Brussels, advance purchase Eurostar to London, fly home. You will not have much time for daytrips out of those major cities each worth five days of serious study. It is so easy and cheap to fly to London that you might save England for another trip.

A more sensible trip, fly to Berlin, train to Cologne, train to Brussels, train to Amsterdam, fly home from there. The first trip my wife and I took to Europe was a week in London and a week in Paris. I suggest you read http://www.ricksteves.com/ for good advice on European train travel.

5. Re: Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, England, and Ireland Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 07, 2014