We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oktoberfest 2013

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Middlesbrough...
3 posts
Save Topic
Oktoberfest 2013

Hi, I am planning a trip to Oktoberfest this year between the dates of the 23rd and 29th of September. I have no clue where to start and would really appreciate some advise as I've never been to Germany.

Things I would like to know:

a) Do I need to buy tickets for the actual Oktoberfest event?

b) Is there any websites where I can buy a package for Oktoberfest?

c) Is there anything else I need to know before booking/going?

Thanks for any help. x

Columbia, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,152 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oktoberfest 2013

Gabby, start by reading a few posts top to bottom.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187309-i118-k5789…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187309-i118-k6091…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187309-i118-k5845…

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9,688 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oktoberfest 2013

a) No

Ther are a number of tents that each hold 5000-7000 people.

SOme areas within the tents are reservations only (whole tables) but you can occupy these tables up until resrvation time (normally 4 or 5pm)

Just walk into a tent and find some space on a table and ask to join (it is normal)

b) only from unscrupulous resellers who will sell you a seat on a table at up to €300 a go

Bookings are only for whole tables that nominally hold 10 people (my wife books 6 tables every year)

A whole table including 20 Beers and 10 half chickens cost €280 (so €28 a head and you get 2 beers and a chicken)

c) Yes - Hotels will be at least 50% more expensive.

Avoid weekends - look to visit Mon - Wed.

Go the first week 22/23rd - 26th September as the second week 3rd October is a German Bank holiday. This means that the wednesday 2nd October will also be busy.

And as said above read additional posts

Kearney, Missouri
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oktoberfest 2013

My wife and I were in Munich last year for the Oktoberfest. In the planning phase of the trip, I too was concerned about being able to get into the beer tents. But after reading many many posts on Tripadvisor, we felt confident that we would be able to get into the tents if we went during the week and earlier in the day.

We were not disappointed. On the first Monday of Oktoberfest, we got to the fair grounds at approximately noon and found plenty of seating in the first tent we visited. We actually visited a total of 3 tents that Monday and it was easy to find seating. As the it got later in the afternoon, the tents did start to get full. It was just the two of us looking for seats, so it was easy for us. I don't know how difficult it would be later in the afternoon for groups of 4 or larger.

We visited again Oktoberfest the following Wednesday. On Wednesday, we got there at 1 pm. We visited different tents this time. But as with Monday, we were able to find seating for 2 quite easily.

We went to the Oktoberfest grounds one evening at 8 pm just to get a feel for what the evening sessions are like. The tents were all packed. We looked in a couple of tents and there was zero chance of finding a seat. Plus, it was so very crowded, I am not sure we would have enjoyed it.

Don't be concerned that by going in the afternoon that you will miss any of the Oktoberfest experience. It was absolutely memorable. So much so that we decided to go again this coming September.

Some hints that were helpful for us: We stayed close to the Central train station - this made it easy to get to many many different places. Yes, the hotels are expensive. Once in Munich, we made our own arrangements for guided day train trips. We found it was worth using these services in that we knew we would not get lost, plus the guides were all very knowledeable. Learn how to pay/tip. Pace yourself on the beers. They are large and they are GOOD. On Monday, we had to use a bike cab back to the hotel -I had way too much fun at the tents!

I could go on and on but the best advise is to do your homework. Lots of good info on Tripadvisor. Google maps is also great for giving you a "feel" for the locations of your points of interest.

4. Re: Oktoberfest 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 am, March 11, 2013
Munich, Germany
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Oktoberfest 2013

Hi!

If you want some original facts about the Oktoberfest, from Insiders, try the website of the local Tv station:

muenchen.tv/historische-fakten-albert-einste…

Use Google Translater, those are some real interesting and funny trivia facts.

Also interesting for local people by the way. A lot u didn´t know about the Oktoberfest.

Essex
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oktoberfest 2013

I've done some research for my trip to Munich but one question remains unanswered...

Can I use an electronic cigarette in the beer tents?

I know the rules on smoking traditional ones are tighter nowadays but I can't find anything about vaping.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,357 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oktoberfest 2013

I have never seen people do this! But you can try.....

8. Re: Oktoberfest 2013

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:35 pm, October 06, 2013
9. Re: Oktoberfest 2013

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, October 08, 2014