We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oh My, Have We Made a Mistake?

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Oh My, Have We Made a Mistake?

Greetings fellow tripadvisors, I'm hoping to get some positive postings regarding our trip plans for next summer. We are a family of four and will be flying into Munich at the end of July and staying for 3 1/2 weeks. Our 16 year old son is very interested in history. We opted to stay southwest of Munich on a lake rather than southeast as I would have preferred. We have visited Switzerland and Austria (although not Salzburg so do plan to visit there this trip) on other trips so we really wanted to focus our efforts on Germany. BTW, we will have a car. My husband loves driving in Europe rather than carrying my luggage up and down the stairs at the various train stations;-) After reading many posts on TA I'm wondering if we will find enough to do to keep us occupied for that length of time. Although we usually like one home base I am wondering if we should rethink our trip plans. Maybe we should move about Germany? We are not into theme parks. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,893 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Oh My, Have We Made a Mistake?

You will find enough to do in the area.

Munich alone has enough to fill several weeks. Then there are the lakes and the Bavarian Alps with their wide variety of outdoor activities, and dozens of towns and small cities, castles and palaces worth visiting.

München
Level Contributor
488 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Oh My, Have We Made a Mistake?

Hi,

which lake you will stay on Starnberger or Ammersee?

You will have plenty of things to do there as Blandine already mentioned.

If you tell us what kind of things you like to do most (biking, hiking, sports, culture, shopping), then we can tell you the options in this area.

If you have a car you can easily reach things which "normal tourist" won`t see. I think it is great to spend such a long time on one place.

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oh My, Have We Made a Mistake?

Thanks, Bladine and Susi P,

We are staying at the northern end of Lake Starnberger. Reading some TA reports about that area being somewhat stuffy and expensive. Not what we had hoped for. We definitely want to visit the WWII historical sites as well as castles, lovely small bavarian towns, many beer gardens, picnics by lovely lakes, Salzburg, and some biking and hiking. Mainly, we want to feel the pulse of the german people! We will always opt for German tourists areas vs. being surrounded by Americans. We plan lots of day trips but are willing to stay overnight on occasion if you think there is something we really need to see or do and are willing to take a train if necessary. Thank You!

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,893 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Oh My, Have We Made a Mistake?

I like your approach! You will have time to explore this region throughly and see more than just the tourist hotspots. Starnberger See is beautiful. It is the area where the wealthy people live, though. No idea what "stuffy" means, sorry... But the location is convenient, especially if you are on the Western side of the lake where the railway runs. In that case a mix of trips by car and trips by train will work well. Especially into Munich I'd rather not go by car.

Allow me to mention that there is more to German history that just those 12 years of the Nazi era and World War II, which seems to be all many so-called "history buffs" from overseas focus on. Kempten and Augsburg, for example, are ancient Roman cities and look back on 2000 years. You are on the route into one of the finest part of the Bavarian Alps, around Garmisch-Partenkirchen and Mittenwald. Ammersee, Staffelsee near Murnau (which attracted some of the most famous artists in the era of expressionism), Kochelsee, Tegernsee are the closest lakes. There are several baroque abbeys in the area - let me mention Andechs which is famous for buildings and location and even more famous for its beer. You won't run out of small towns to visit either. My latest 'love' is Landshut, which has a fantastic old town and deserves a lot more attention than it usually receives. Enjoy your visit!

Get yourselves a good guidebook about Oberbayern/Upper Bavaria.

Munich
Level Contributor
200 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oh My, Have We Made a Mistake?

For a start, you could visit Roseninsel on a sunny day.

…bayern.de/englisch/…feldafin.htm

München
Level Contributor
488 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Oh My, Have We Made a Mistake?

Well as I live at the northern end of the Starnberger lake, I know this area very well. Yes it is quite expensive, but this is Munich,too. And a lot of normal people live here,too.

Villages which are very pretty at the Starnberger lake. You could reach them by taking boat and bike:

bayregio-starnberger-see.de/starnberger-see-…

-Ammerland

here a nice "beer garden" where you can eat fresh fish from the lake.

moesslang.net/fischerei_sebald_ammerland.htm

-Ambach: Very nice restaurant with beer garden. Never go there at weekends(people from Munich like this place a lot)

www.youtube.com/embed/JZF6E_oE_Ck?rel=0

www.zumfischmeister.com/Impressionen.html

-Bernried very picturesque,

Museum:

buchheimmuseum.de/international/english.php

Feldafing Roseninsel, where king Ludwig II and his cousin Sisy met regulary.

tripadvisor.de/Attraction_Review-g651784-d21…

Tutzing beergarden again

haering-wirtschaft.de/newpages/biergarten.htm

By the way King Ludwig II drowned in the Starnberger lake. There is chapel now.

qype.com/place/2127365-Votivkapelle-Gedaecht…

München
Level Contributor
488 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Oh My, Have We Made a Mistake?

If you want to see a nice old historic town than drive to Landsberg am Lech:

About half an hour from the lake:

http://www.landsberg.de/web.nsf/gfx/SLL07-E_web.pdf/$file/SLL07-E_web.pdf

Interesting place Glentleiten museum. There are a lot of old farmhouses:

www.glentleiten.de/index.phtml…

www.glentleiten.de/index.phtml…

For fun a summer- tobogganrun 1286m lenght. Blombergbahn:

www.blombergbahn.de/index.php…

If you like to go to drive to a really old town then visit Augsburg, about an hour ride:

www.augsburg.de/index.php?id=12344

Murnau easy to reach:

murnau.de/en/9c0a12c6-f940-4721-5d99-ec0d522…

and then you can visit all the castles from Ludwig II from there.

I think this should you be occupied, but if you have any more questions. Just ask and I will give you more informations.

München
Level Contributor
488 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Oh My, Have We Made a Mistake?

And you should not miss Regenburg (you should stay overnight)

www.regensburg.de/tourismus/Home/3854

or/and

Bamberg

www.bamberg.info/en

and for a longer day trip (or overnight if you will add Lake Chiemsee Herrenchiemsee and the Fraueninsel)

Wasserburg am Inn:

www.wasserburg.de/en/touristik/impressionen

herren-chiemsee.de/englisch/…index.htm

fraueninsel-fuehrungen.de/English-tours-37.h…

München
Level Contributor
488 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Oh My, Have We Made a Mistake?

and this could interest you,too. You could just make it as it will be till the 28th of july.

www.ritterturnier.de/en.html

Plattsmouth Ne
Level Contributor
341 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oh My, Have We Made a Mistake?

Would like to second Susi P's suggestion of Landsberg for a visit. Its a beautiful old medieval walled town. There is some street construction in the main square right now, but it's a minor distraction.