We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Munich Airport to Innsbruck to Verona Sept 2013

Pittsboro, North...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Topic
Train Munich Airport to Innsbruck to Verona Sept 2013

Hi - Myself and 2 friends are trying to figure out how to book the following scenic train service:

After arriving at Munich airport early morning on Wednesday, Sept.4 - take scenic train to Innsbruck that day to stay 2 days - then take scenic train to Verono on Friday morning, Sept 6.

Very confusing to figure out how and when we can book this trip as it will take us thru 3 countries.

Any suggestions or help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Marie - NC

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,969 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Munich Airport to Innsbruck to Verona Sept 2013

>Very confusing to figure out how and when we can book this trip as it will take us thru 3 countries.

Not confusing at all.

www.bahn.de

To: Verona

Via: Mittenwald

Pittsboro, North...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Munich Airport to Innsbruck to Verona Sept 2013

Thanks for the reply. We would like to stop over in Innsbruck for 2 nights and stay at a hotel directly across from the main train station in Innsbruck. You indicate "via Mittenwald". Please provide further details on your suggestions

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,969 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Munich Airport to Innsbruck to Verona Sept 2013

>We would like to stop over in Innsbruck for 2 nights and stay at a hotel directly across from the main train station in Innsbruck.

Why? Station areas are normally not the most desirable parts of the city (even if it is just traffic and noise). Innsbruck has a good tram system to get around. For the hotel choice see www.hrs.de

>You indicate "via Mittenwald". Please provide further details on your suggestions

Well, you were talking about the "scenic train" to Innsbruck? You need to indicate the routing via Mittenwald to get the schedules from www.bahn.de.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mittenwald_Railway

Is a much more scenic way to get to Innsbruck than the direct Inn valley route via Kufstein, even though it takes an hour more. It is both more scenic and cheaper.

Since only regional trains run on this route there is no booking either - you are fully flexible to make stopovers. Garmisch, Mittenwald or Seefeld are good suggestions for one.

Edited: 9:30 am, January 22, 2013
Narberth, PA
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Munich Airport to Innsbruck to Verona Sept 2013

Hi, I came across this and thought my experience may be helpful though it is a while since the last post, and you may already have made your plans.

I have done this trip, both scenic and more direct. I certainly enjoyed the more scenic, though longer, trip when I opted for it in 2011. The train was full of local folks returning from Munich, and, at several stops, school kids got on or off. After a certain point, most of the commuters had detrained and the train was delightfully empty giving me the opportunity to move about freely from window to window snapping photos.

I read and agree that the right side of the train on this journey is preferable for views.

I have stayed in Innsbruck twice and will be returning next month. It is an easy walk from the train to say the older part of the city. There is a handy supermarket at the station for replenishing when you arrive and/or depart. If you stay in the Altstadt, be mindful that there may be a bit of noisy late night nightlife.

Since you will be there in September, you may be able to catch an Almabtrieb event. This page has a link to a pdf of all of the events in 2013 in the Tirol.

http://www.tirol.at/almabtriebe

In 2011, I attended the Almabtrieb in Mutters, a small village easily reached from Innsbruck. The cows were stars and posed for many photos.

innsbruck.info/en/…almabtrieb-mutters.html

Enjoy your trip. It is a nice time of the year to travel through the Tirol.

5. Re: Train Munich Airport to Innsbruck to Verona Sept 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, June 15, 2014