We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoid Dollar rent a car ('Rent A Terstappen') in Germany

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Avoid Dollar rent a car ('Rent A Terstappen') in Germany

As you can many examples in other forums for other German cities, DO NOT rent from Dollar or Thrifty in Germany! They use a local firm 'Rent A Terstappen' who rips off customers by changing terms, not honoring credit cards that cover insurance (thereby forcing you to purchase insurance before renting), and keeping deductibles charged to credit cards with bogus claims of damage after return--and never notifying you. Just happened to me, and has happened to many others on other forums...every person in line with me at the time of rental had the same experience. Cost me an additional 350 Euro in insurance plus 600 Euro in deductible for the false claim of 'damage'.

Somerset,England
Level Contributor
976 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avoid Dollar rent a car ('Rent A Terstappen') in Germany

There have been lots of posts about this firm on this forum too in the past. Hopefully anyone wishing to hire cars will have looked at information here by previous renters before booking as I did back in July.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
4 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avoid Dollar rent a car ('Rent A Terstappen') in Germany

I echo the warning - my husband just had the same experience. He will ditch the car tomorrow and rent from another company.

Palma de Mallorca...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Avoid Dollar rent a car ('Rent A Terstappen') in Germany

Hi everybody there, to me happend exactly the same, they charged me 1000 € on my creditcard, I had to return the car at 5 am and there was nobody to confirm that the car was fine, when I was calling up a couple of days later, they told me that everything was fine and that they already have returned the money but that it needs a couple of days, after 10 days they told me that it needs like 28 days to return the money and later one I have been told that there is no refund becuase I returned the car TOTALLY DAMAGED!!!!!! I did not rent the car directly with them and the renting agency "billiger-mietwagen.de" has been very helpful so far and I hope that I can get my money back!!!!

AVOID RENT A TERSTAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!

Munich, Germany
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Avoid Dollar rent a car ('Rent A Terstappen') in Germany

Hello, here's another bad experience similiar to others, I strongly advice to stay away from Thrifty's or Terstappen at the Munich Airport!

I booked my car from rentalcars.com, the broker in the between was Thrifty's and the local service provider was Terstappen. It was our fortune that we took an extra insurance from rentalcars.com...

The Terstappen customer service at the airport desk was rude and though there were only four customers at the desk, it took 45 mins. for the 3 officers to give the cars.

The car was ok and clean but the additional costs (winter tires and baby seats) quite expensive. We had to pay also an extra deposit of 1000 EUR to Terstappen for possible additional damage, though we had an extra insurance from rentalcars.com. The car had some old damages which were hard to see from the car. They gave me only the paper where the damages were marked on a car silhouette, but not the accurate written list of the old damages. I guess you should always demand that also.

As I returned the car, no one checked for the damages, just returned the keys as asked (my mistake not to demand a full check and signature but I had to hurry for the plane). I had an overview for the car myself and saw no new damages.

After 2,5 months I noticed an extra charge of 800 euros from my credit card. They had sent a report for extra damages to wrong country so I received it after I had seen the charge from the credit card and contacted their customer service.

So I called them and they sent me pictures of these new damages. In one picture there was very clearly a big scratch in front bumper, which I really wonder as I did not hit anything while driving and didn't see the clear scratch while returning the car. I have never had such a scratches in my personal cars but of course it might had hit something. The costs for bumper repair were about 500 eur.

There was also marked a scratch on the front rim, in the picture you could hardly see a tiny little black mark in the rim (no scratch) but it was also marked as a previous damages in report I had earlier. Repair costs: 195 euros.

In addition there was 40 euros phone/fax costs and 50 eur for a "DAT". I was told DAT is a cost for making the damage report... Additional insurance does not cover damages to rims/wheels nor these "administrative" fees.

I called Terstappen again and they promised that I will have a payback for the rim costs as it was marked as a old damage but I will not believe it before I see it on my account. The officer also promised to ask her manager for a reduction for the 40 euros phone/fax costs. Not very high hopes for that.

Next I will have print or copy every possible document for this issue and send them in paper form to UK, rentalcars.com customer service. Hope to get some of the money back...

Ancaster, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Avoid Dollar rent a car ('Rent A Terstappen') in Germany

I am experiencing very similar problems - 8 days after returning the Dollar/Terstappen car (I got a confirmation sheet with an ID number, confirming no damage) I am yet to receive EUR 600 deposit credited to my VISA card. I sent four expediting emails with no response. And nobody is picking up my phone calls.l

Ancaster, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Avoid Dollar rent a car ('Rent A Terstappen') in Germany

I am experiencing similar problems. Eight days after returning the Dollar/Terstappen car (I got a sheet with an ID number, date and time of return, confirming no damage on the car) I am yet to receive the deposit of EUR 600, i.e. credited back to my VISA card. Nobody is responding to my numerous email to numerous addresses, and nobody is picking up any Dollar/Terstappen listed phones.

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,792 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Avoid Dollar rent a car ('Rent A Terstappen') in Germany

That's awful and I hate that happened to all of you. I learned my lesson a long time ago in Europe and only travel by train now.

Helsinki, Finland
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Avoid Dollar rent a car ('Rent A Terstappen') in Germany

I had also a bad experience with this company.

Please, like and share this. You'll help people who are renting a car to avoiding these kind companies.

https:/…390599447714019

9. Re: Avoid Dollar rent a car ('Rent A Terstappen') in Germany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 30, 2014