We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Munich to Neuschwanstein castle by train

London, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Munich to Neuschwanstein castle by train

Hello guys

I'm going to be in Munich on march 15th to the 18th 2013 and i will like to know a couple of things?? we are a small group of 3 non European girls and we have the eurail pass, so i believe the train is covered (not sure if the bus too thou)

1) how to get from Munich to the castle by train (i read that is also necessary to catch a bus)

2) from what times its open and is't likely to be closed for the weather?? (i have no idea if will be snowy or just very cold)

Thanks

Springfield...
Level Contributor
86 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Munich to Neuschwanstein castle by train

Hey

1) Simply catch a RegionalExpress (RE) to Füssen at munich central stadion, it departs every 2 hours on workdays. The train ride takes about 2 hours and 5 minutes, if no delays are occuring.

From Füssen train station its only a 10 minute bus drive with the "Bus 9651, 73 or 78 (doesnt matter, they`re all passing Castle Neuschwanenstein) to the bus stop "Hohenschwangau, Schwangau (Schlösser)".

Voilá, you´re at Castle Neuschwanenstein

Edit: You can check bahn.com (german national railway company) for further schedule of departure

2) Its very unlikely to be closed due to weather issues. Opening hours from October to March are 10 am to 4 pm, but tickets are only on sale until 3 pm.

Let me know, if you have any further questions

Edited: 11:22 am, December 22, 2012
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,173 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Munich to Neuschwanstein castle by train

Your Eurail pass covers the trains. But not the buses from Füssen train station to Hohenschwangau village. By far the better deal for this trip is a Bayern Ticket as it covers all local public transport in Munich, the trains to Füssen and the buses to Hohenschwangau. Bayern Ticket for 3 is EUR 30 (together).

www.toytowngermany.com/wiki/Bayern_ticket

1) DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Start: München Hbf

Destination: Hohenschwangau, Schwangau (Schlösser)

2) opening times

https://www.hohenschwangau.de/551.0.html

recommended: advanced reservation of the tickets

https://www.hohenschwangau.de/765.0.html

Edited: 1:43 pm, December 22, 2012
greeley, CO
Level Contributor
2,681 posts
459 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Munich to Neuschwanstein castle by train

The day's train travel would already be covered with he Eurail pass, so they only need to pay for the bus.

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Munich to Neuschwanstein castle by train

Hello

Thanks for taking your time and answer my questions, will be checking timetables, Cant wait to be there!

Edited: 7:09 am, December 27, 2012
Katy, Texas
Level Contributor
52 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Munich to Neuschwanstein castle by train

Can somneone tell me what passes or tickets I need for the following.

Munich airport to Romanplatz station, Romanplatz to Neuschwanstein (R/T)

Romanplatz to downtown Munich.

Munich to Vienice Italy.

greeley, CO
Level Contributor
2,681 posts
459 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Munich to Neuschwanstein castle by train

Hurstdj - You are more likely to get a reply if you start a separate post

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,418 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Munich to Neuschwanstein castle by train

@Hurstdj As suggested, best to open a separate thread for your questions.

There is only one direct train from Munich to Venice leaving at 11:31am (train EC87), arriving around 18:10

Galway, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Munich to Neuschwanstein castle by train

Just to add to what abalada said about booking your castle tickets in advance. Make sure you do, otherwise you will be queuing for ages to get tickets when you get there. When booking online, you select the day and time you want to do the tour, then you must collect the tickets at the castle ticket centre at least an hour before the tour starts. If you do this, when you arrive at the ticket centre, go to the top of the queue (which will be very long) and go into the reserved ticket queue to collect your tickets.

9. Re: Munich to Neuschwanstein castle by train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, January 06, 2014