We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Munich on Business June 10-14, 2013 Where else to visit?

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Denton, Texas
1 post
Save Topic
Munich on Business June 10-14, 2013 Where else to visit?

Originally, thought of Prague and Vienna but now think there is plenty of other stuff nearby as we've never been to this area before.

So now the the question is TOUR the week after the conference or TRAIN (on our own). I am required to fly in/out of Munich. We usually do well with our own arrangements for these personal extensions of business trips finding hotels, trains, and bike tours, and museums and such in each city without renting a car.

Any opinions? Thanks!

Here is example of a an organized tour$

Day1 - Bus to Fussen along the Romantische Strasse. See Wieskirche and Castle Neuschwanstein - tour at 12:45. Bus to Markdorf. Check into Landgasthof Adler. Dinner in Meersburg am Bodensee. Bus back to Markdorf.

Day2 - Bus to Hechingen, Tuebingen, and Stuttgart. Tour Burg Hohenzollern. Lunch Tuebingen (old city). Visit palace grounds in Stuttgart and get dinner. Bus to Ditzingen and check into Hotel Blankenburg.

Day3 - Bus to Ludwigsburg, Heidelberg, and Windesheim. Visit palace grounds in Ludwigsburg. Tour Heidelberg Castle abt. 3:00. Overnight in Gasthaus Stempel in Windesheim. Dinner at Gasthaus Stempel.

Day4 - Bus to Bingen am Rhein. Rhein River Cruise "Loreley Fahrt" from Bingen to St. Goar (9:00 to 1:00). Bus to medieval Rothenburg o.d.T. . Have dinner. Bus to Augsburg. Stay overnight Ibis Hotel Augsburg.

Day5 - Bus to Berchtesgaden Region. Bus to Freilassing. Visit Koenigsee area. Boat ride on the most scenic Koenigssee. Stay overnight Hotel Krone in Freilassing. Dinner in Freilassing.

Day6 - Bus to Salzburg, Austria. Tour the old city center (Haupt). Bus to Freising. Visit Mirabell Gardens, and visit the Alte Stadt Salzburg (9:00 am to 2:00 pm) - the home town of Mozart and made additionally famous with "The Sound of Music". Stay overnight at Hotel Lerner in Freising. Dinner at Hotel Lerner.

Day7 - Bus to Karl's Platz in Munich. Bus to Dachau. See Memorial Site. Bus to Freising. Visit pedestrian area from Karl's Platz to Mariensplatz in downtown Munich from 10:00 - 1:00 (Haupt). Visit Dachau at 2:00 pm. Then back to Hotel Lerner for dinner.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Munich on Business June 10-14, 2013 Where else to visit?

You first threw me for a loop when you listed these tours by Day 1, Day 2, etc. How many days do you plan to allow for each tour?

Few of these places can be reached by bus lines from Munich. Some are only accessible by train, others require a car. At present, Germany does not have a long distance bus network similar to our Greyhound system. They just have passed legislation that permits private bus company startups to compete with the Deutsche Bahn (train system). To find bus tours run by individual operators out of Munich would be very difficult, especially if language is a barrier.

Some of the tours you mention, are not very efficiently laid out: For example Day 1. Take a look at a road map, you would be going all over the map.

Also, check your itineraries on www.bahn.de. This website will enable you to cobble together the train and public bus schedules, connections, travel times for the itineraries you want to realize, where the busses usually are tied es expansions to certain train itineraries. For example, to get to Meersburg requires taking a train from Munich to Lindau - Friedrichshafen, and then a bus to Meersburg. Almost a full day's trip.

If a place is not mentioned in the bahn website. it has no train or bus access.

Edited: 8:35 pm, December 08, 2012
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,550 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Munich on Business June 10-14, 2013 Where else to visit?

I would concentrate with the given time frame on Bavaria. This bus tour is really rushed and covers a lot of ground, i.e. long travel times - times you don't have for sightseeing.

Bavaria has a good train network.

bahnland-bayern.de/tl_files/bahnland-bayern/…

And using a Bayern Ticket you can have this even for cheap.

www.toytowngermany.com/wiki/Bayern_ticket

Bavarian Alps: Salzburg/Berchtesgaden, Mittewald/Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Füssen/Neuschwanstein

http://bavarian-alps.travel/

Northern Bavaria (Franconia): Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Bamberg, Regensburg, Nürnberg

http://www.rothenburg.de

http://www.bamberg.info

www.regensburg.de/sixcms/detail.php/3854

Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Munich on Business June 10-14, 2013 Where else to visit?

It would help if we knew what interests you. You are in a part of the world that is easy to get around in and has lots to offer. If you stay in Bavaria, I think Nuernberg and Wuerzburg are first rate. Close behind them (but with less old art) are Regensburg and Passau. If you want to see the newest world class city, go to Berlin - a bit farther away. It now is the 3rd most popular tourist city, after only London and Paris. It doesn't have the charm of the other four cities mentioned. Keep in mind that German food is not just beer, pork and potatos. Wuerzburg is wine country. It takes a bit more work to find, but these cities all have German restaurants that offer real cuisine. And odd as it seem, Italian food in Germany is excellent. I would travel by train and - if you can plan in advance - buy my train tickets in advance, using the Deutsche Bahn website.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,922 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Munich on Business June 10-14, 2013 Where else to visit?

I agree - that organized tour really is a whirlwind and doesn't seem to leave much time for seeing things. And it doesn't look like it has much free time in the plan at all.

This area is really easy to visit on your own - obviously you won't see as many places, but you can choose what really interests you and actually spend some time in those places.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Munich on Business June 10-14, 2013 Where else to visit?

If you are an Audi Fan, find out if they are giving tours in english during your stay. Well worth the trip to Ingolstadt! There is so much to do and see just in Munich it's tough to tell you exactly what to do and see. From Beer Gardens and yes the HB Haus (touristy) is worth going to.

When we go to Bavaria we tend to get out of Munich and into the country side. Regensberg is great, Nurnberg is better. Passau and Salzberg are close by and well worth seeing. I didn't even mention Garmisch or Birchesgarten, did I.

Forgive the spelling......

6. Re: Munich on Business June 10-14, 2013 Where else to visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 pm, December 17, 2013