We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to wear in Bavaria in December....?

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
South Florida
Level Contributor
215 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
what to wear in Bavaria in December....?

Visiting Munich/Salzburg/Vienna for Christmas.....We are from Florida, so am looking for some advise on winter footwear..

I understand that there may be slushy conditions, and slippery cobblestones.....so what kind of boot would be suggested for my teen daughter...? We will be seeing the Christmas markets, city squares, museums, churches, etc.

We are all set with coats & layering, but most of our previous travel in winter weather is to ski towns, but ski/snow boots seem a bit much for these cities....

thanks!

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,517 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what to wear in Bavaria in December....?

Pretty much any kind of boot that is comfortable, even something like plain old hiking boots, just not those Ugg type boots. They get absolutely soaked with water, making for some very uncomfortable, wet, freezing cold feet.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
8,977 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what to wear in Bavaria in December....?

As said above plain hiking boot. Or something like panama jacks/camel boots (which I am wearing today because it has been snowing)

or something form Timberland (style) or similar.

Anything really that has a bit of a tread and an insulating sole - saying that you will still see (German) women walking around Munich in normal boots with heels. Just if you are standing around a Xmas Market/Tollwood need a sole that is thick enough to insulate from the ground

greeley, CO
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what to wear in Bavaria in December....?

Just ordinary shoes were all I needed last year.

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,585 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what to wear in Bavaria in December....?

We've been going to the markets in Munich for the past 15 years, and rarely have we ever had to slog through snow. At most, the streets have been wet. Temperatures have ranged from highs in the fifties to one unfortunate year highs in the teens. We've only felt the cold one year. Of course, coming from Iowa our expectations of cold might be different from yours in Florida. You'll love the marienplatz market and Munich in general! It's an easy city to get around.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
8,977 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what to wear in Bavaria in December....?

Unfortuantely nobody can predict the weather.

As said above one year it was 19C (66F) and I was playing golf in a T-Shirt so you could go round in Trainers/sports shoes.

A couple of years ago at Tollwood it was just above freezing & very wet under foot as we had had a big dump of snow that then melted (ordinary shoes no good then).

And another year it was -10C (14F) during the day

YOu just don't know

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,116 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: what to wear in Bavaria in December....?

Yep it's pot luck, you might be lucky or it can be very cold with a wind chill, definitely a shock after Florida. You have the right idea, take layers and have waterproof boots just in case, nothing worse than walking around with wet feet in the cold.

Try to convince your teen daughter that practical is better than fashion, no easy task I know from experience LOL. A few hoodies to pack a good idea.

Some local schnapps pre-beer help if it does get cold, the cold beer goes down better ;-)

Stoofer

Edited: 6:53 am, December 05, 2012
Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,585 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what to wear in Bavaria in December....?

Yeah, nothing like standing out at the Christmas market having a hot wine, schnapps, hot ameretto, etc. Warms you right up!

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,663 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what to wear in Bavaria in December....?

"Yeah, nothing like standing out at the Christmas market having a hot wine, schnapps, hot ameretto, etc. Warms you right up!"

Mmmmmm...

Also, regarding fashion - Munich is a very practical place rather than one driven by fashion. It is still a big city, but I always notice Muencheners dressing nicely, but with practicality in mind. Unlike many cities, you will find people in the middle of Munich wearing outdoor type clothing.

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,585 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what to wear in Bavaria in December....?

The color most often worn in Munich it seems is black, with black, with black....

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,116 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: what to wear in Bavaria in December....?

LOL, I've heard that myth jdmckay. A while ago there was an OP asking if they should only wear black.

I'm not a local but I regularly work in Munich and all the Germans I know actually dress quite flambouyantly with colours. Perhaps it's the old Kraftwerk image that's stiuck on foreign visitors yet even they went in for orange on occasion ;-)

Stoofer