We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Neuschwanstein - how long do i need to see it

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
348 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Neuschwanstein - how long do i need to see it

Hey guys,

Ill be in the area later this year and wondered how long you really need to check out Neuschwanstein Castle,

Is a few hours in the village enough to have a look around and take the tour? or do you really suggest a whole day?

Originally i hadnt planned to visit the castle even though its a dream of mine, due to the construction. I have now been told that the scaffolding has been taken off so i would love to see it.

Any info is much appreciated as i try and work this into my tight schedule.

Thanks,

Ben

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,932 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Neuschwanstein - how long do i need to see it

The tour takes about 35 minutes and if you buy your ticket online ahead of time, you must pick it up 1 hour before your tour. If you don't buy it ahead of time, you have to queue up at the ticket window and then buy a ticket for the next available tour in your language, so you could end up waiting awhile in that process. After your tour it takes maybe 20 minutes to walk back down the hill. Sooooo, you if you buy your tickets ahead of time and don't spend time looking around, you can finish your visit in about 2-2.5 hours.

If you want to visit Hohenschwangau castle and/or wander around a bit, then if will take more time, of course.

https://www.hohenschwangau.de/552.0.html

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
2,969 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Neuschwanstein - how long do i need to see it

The scaffolding has been removed to a height of four meters. You could check web cams to see what it looks like now. There is enough in the Hohenschwangau and Fuessen area to allot a day, but it all depends on your interests of course. Here's a link to a webcam (at the bottom of the page) and also a link to the town of Fuessen.

neuschwanstein.de/englisch/tourist/index.htm

http://fuessen-en.ictourismus.de/

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
348 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Neuschwanstein - how long do i need to see it

Thankyou for the input,

so really i need about 2.5 hours plus

Ill see if i can fit it into my schedule

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,932 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Neuschwanstein - how long do i need to see it

What else is on your schedule? Maybe we can help you figure out how to fit Neuschwanstein.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
348 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Neuschwanstein - how long do i need to see it

Ok basically I fly into Stuttgart on the 19th dec at 10.20 am. I'm staying in schiltach until the 21st when I'll jump on a late afternoon train to Lucerne.

I guess neuschwanstein would have to be on the 19th after I arrive and before I get to schiltach. I'll be picking up a hire car at Stuttgart airport

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
348 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Neuschwanstein - how long do i need to see it

Ok basically I fly into Stuttgart on the 19th dec at 10.20 am. I'm staying in schiltach until the 21st when I'll jump on a late afternoon train to Lucerne.

I guess neuschwanstein would have to be on the 19th after I arrive and before I get to schiltach. I'll be picking up a hire car at Stuttgart airport

7. Re: Neuschwanstein - how long do i need to see it

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 17, 2013