We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alpspitzbahn

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Alpspitzbahn

I am planning a day trip by train to the Zugpitze from Munich, and have previously done this via cablecar (from Eibsee station, I think).

My son has never seen snow, so was glad to see glacier walks available (June or July visit).

I heard that the Alpspitzbahn is nearby, but can't find much information, as I get directed to the Zugspitze website.

Can anyone tell me where this cablecar leaves from, and would it make a good addition to the Zugspitze visit? (I was hoping for hour long walks, not climbing!)

thank you....

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,231 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alpspitzbahn

Hi ozzie2010,

You can get the cable car to the Alpspitze by taking the town bus #2 to the bus stop Kreuzeck/Alpspitze. The train between Garmisch and the Zugspitze also stops there.

Yes, there are some sorta level walking trails between the Kreuzeck and the Alpspitze. If you walk toward the Kreuzeck, it will be downhill.

Have you walked around the Eibsee? That is flat and takes about 45 minutes, and of couse it's quite pretty.

Have fun!

s

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alpspitzbahn

Thank you, swandav !!

Very helpful.

(Yes, I did walk around the Eibsee, so beautiful. We don't have mountains here.. so trying to get in as many as possible while in Munich, also might add Mittenwald to our trip)

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,231 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alpspitzbahn

Yes, that's a great idea! Mittenwald is my favorite destination in this area.

There's a great, flat walk from the town of Krün (get there by bus) to Mittenwald that takes 2h. There are several walking trails between Krün and Mittenwald, and the one I like is kind of difficult to find; if you want to know about it, let me know.

s

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alpspitzbahn

Thank you, that would be great to know.

I also read that the lakes are a good walk from town, too. Is it easy to find the lake walking trails in Mittenwald?

Edited: 2:37 am, November 16, 2012
Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,139 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Alpspitzbahn

ozzie - listen to swandav. Last year she took me on exactly that hike from Krün to Mittenwald, it was so fantastic. You walk through the rolling meadows of the valley with the mountain panorama in front of you and around you all the time. We needed 3 hours not 2, though, but that was because we took so many photos...

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,231 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alpspitzbahn

Hi again

Different busses let you off at different places in town, so I'm not sure where exactly you'll start from. Take along a map (print from google maps or bring your smart phone). Find the intersection of Karwendelstr. and Wettersteinstr. (Karwendelstr. is called Walchenseestr. to the north of this intersection).

Anyway, walk west on Wettersteinstr. as it leads you out of town, then at Hochstr. turn south (left). You will go under the busy road on Hochstr., and then suddently you'll be in the country. Stay on this path all the way to Mittenwald.

Finding the trails to the lakes from Mittenwald, as I remember, is quite easy. As always, it seems, there are a few options (folks have been walking in these woods for, what, 5,000 years, so there are many paths). I spent a month in Mittenwald one time, and I think I just headed west from anywhere in town. Soon you'll find signs pointing you to a trail leading to the Lautersee and Ferchensee. The Lautersee is a popular destination, so you may actually only have to follow the column of hikers as they leave Mittenwald!!

Hi BF!! I'm really glad you enjoyed it as much as I did!!

s

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alpspitzbahn

Thank you, that is fantastic. I have been wading through your old threads on this topic, "scenic walks around Mittenwald"... now I see it is a destination in itself, ie. more than a day trip.....

Having grown up in the Australian outback, I just LOVE mountains, forests and lakes, so thank you, your advice will really help me plan well.

I have to go to the Zugspitze so that my son can see snow, and now we will include the Alpsitze, and Mittenwald, thanks to you kind TA helpers.

Very much obliged.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,231 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alpspitzbahn

you are such a kind soul; I hope your trip really is great!

s

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alpspitzbahn

Well, you contributors put in a lot of effort helping complete strangers have great holidays... you are most appreciated.

10. Re: Alpspitzbahn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 am, December 16, 2013