We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gluten free in Munich

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Gluten free in Munich

Hi, I have celiac( unable to ingest wheat, barley, rye and gluten) and am wondering about places to eat in Munich that are safe? Beers that are gluten free and how knowledgable everyone is with celiac disease there?

I am a bit apprehensive about the trip and as I am the only one with this diseases don't want to make it difficult for everyone else I am traveling with.

Thank you for any help offered.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich
Level Contributor
2,837 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gluten free in Munich

Welcome to Tripadvisor!

The Pizzesco bistro has gluten free pizza made on separate boards to avoid cross-contamination: http://tinyurl.com/munich-restaurants

Have a look here: tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187309-i118-k42…

and here: www.toytowngermany.com/forum/index.php…

Edited: 6:31 pm, September 14, 2012
München
Level Contributor
488 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Gluten free in Munich

Hi,

here some more links for Munich glutenfrei restaurants, shops...

glutenfrei-unterwegs.de/suche_ergebnis.php

www.zoeliakie-suedbayern.de/div/lokale.html

Boston...
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Gluten free in Munich

Hey,

You can check Gluten Free Hotels Guide for hotels in Munich that serve gluten free food:

www.glutenfreehotelsguide.com/city.php?id=26

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
10,502 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gluten free in Munich

My father and brother are Coeliacs.

Not seen any gluten free beer on sale in pubs.

Both Brother and Father now drink cider. Can get Magners in the Irish pubs.

If you want to get just general food/snacks there are various Vitalia Reformhaus around Munich.

There is also the Basic shop. There is one on Westenriederstrasse just off Tal near Isar Tor.

They sometimes have daily fresh bread products ( gluten free) as well other packet items. Can get glutenfree muffins

Depends on exactly where you are staying

basic-bio-genuss-fuer-alle.de/maerkte/maerkt… and click on München for a full list of shops. Some have there own bakers "Bäckerei"

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gluten free in Munich

Thank you so much everyone for all the replies.. I have written down a few places and am very excited to explore and enjoy some food.. Thank you!

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gluten free in Munich

Jackie, I am going to Munich next month and also am the only Celiac in my traveling group. How gluten free did it go for your trip there?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gluten free in Munich

i also have celiac disease and am here in munich now. trying to navigate oktoberfest gluten free!

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,086 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gluten free in Munich

if I remember right from a friend who visited us with the same condition, eggs are ok. With that in mind, you can try the brenner grill for breakfast just off maximilian strasse as they have a wide omelette menu. They also do stacks of grilled meat and fish which should also be ok.

brennergrill.de/files/…breakfast.pdf or for brunch brennergrill.de/files/…brunch_englisch.pdf

I presume salads would also be fine. If you go to some of the more studenty places (i.,e. away from beerhalls) you can find attractive salad menus often with a bit of grilled meat on top.

And during my search I came across this hotel which has gluten free breakfasts! Its on schillerstr so just round the corner from the main station. http://www.hotel-monaco.de/

6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Gluten free in Munich

Hi Wanderlust, how did it go for you at the Oktoberfest? I'm planning on going this year and would like to know if they cater for gf folks.

Thanks

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gluten free in Munich

oktoberfest was definitely a challenge. we went on opening day and waited in line to get into the main tent. the tent where the mayor of munich would tap the first keg signaling the start of oktoberfest. most people had reservations which allowed them to wait in a shorter line. i would definitely research getting reservations. anyhow, nothing is served within the grounds until the first keg is tapped. that was around 12 noon, so waiting in line without food or drink for 5 hours was a feat in itself. finally got into the main tent. hate to say it but ONLY beer was served. no other alcoholic beverage. i drank apple juice. was definitely fun inside, music, dancing, just a great time. my friends who i traveled with, all 5 of them, are NOT gluten free and they enjoyed their large steins of beer. none of the food served is marketed as GF. lots of pretzels and schnitzel which is a celiac's worst nightmare. i did order some meat and just hoped for the best. after many hours we left that tent and wandered around the grounds. came across one tent that specialized in wine. made my day!!!!

we returned to oktoberfest two more times during our stay. it is so much more than a beer festival. there are vendors, and rides, and games. on our subsequent visits, GF drink options were much more visible. there were small stands that sold wine and mixed drinks.

it was definitely a positive experience, although challenging at times. if i was to go back i would go with a reservation to one of the tents for opening day, i would pack some go to GF snacks in my purse, and maybe see if i could map out the tents that had GF drink options ahead of time. enjoy your trip and hope to hear of your navigating the festival GF :)