We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Altes Hackerhaus vs Der Pschorr

Carbondale, Illinois
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Altes Hackerhaus vs Der Pschorr

So a basic Munich beer 101 question.

I the only know this beer as “Hacker-Pschorr”, not as individuals beers.

Also I have only seen it as a Weiss-beer not a hells were I’m from.

:(

So my question is do these two beer halls server the same beer, or are they serving their original beers from when they were 2 separate breweries?

Also is one place that much better for either beers or food?

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,414 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Altes Hackerhaus vs Der Pschorr

Altes Hackerhaus is NOT a beer hall, I'm afraid.

It's a restaurant with lots of rooms and a courtyard.Good food.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Altes Hackerhaus vs Der Pschorr

both of these places are restaurants, not beer halls. That being said, the beer at der pschorr is served out of a cask with a gravity pour(no gas) The beer there was so good that I went there twice. It was the freshest beer I have ever tasted. The other plade is no big deal.

Carbondale, Illinois
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Altes Hackerhaus vs Der Pschorr

Well I guess we know who wins then, heheheheheheh

Thanks allot for the reply sheldon that was what I was looking for.

Phil

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,414 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Altes Hackerhaus vs Der Pschorr

The Der Pschorr I've been to in Munich is a beer hall.

Altes Hackerhaus is one of the better restaurants in the middle of Munich. However, what do I know?

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
10,142 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Altes Hackerhaus vs Der Pschorr

You can also take in the Hackerbräu located at the top of the Oktoberfest grounds where they brew the beer on site

http://www.hacker-pschorrbraeu.de/

Can be a more fun nght out than the others

Edited: 1:52 pm, June 15, 2012
Carbondale, Illinois
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Altes Hackerhaus vs Der Pschorr

Ok, I got it I think,

So now that is an actual HACKER-PSCHORR “beer hall” that happens also to be their brewery. Such an awesome suggestion, Thanks allot, I had not keyed into that place yet through my guide books and internet searches.

I won’t be in Munich until winter (you can never start planning beer adventures to early) and was planning on checking out Tollwood one afternoon, so that Brauhaus will fit in perfectly!

Thanks again everyone for your replies, they all have been most helpful.

Now I just have to pick the other beer halls and restaurants so I cover the other 9 beers I don’t want to miss out on. So many choices’s so little time ;)

Phil :)

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,340 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Altes Hackerhaus vs Der Pschorr

The one by Viktualienmarkt on end of Schranenhalle is a small beer hall, I would not describe it as a restaurant so I'm confused along with Ethelman.

It has great beer and nice 'garden' in summer. Hackers is grest beer full stop, my favourire beer in Munich with Augustiner a close second.

Hackerhaus is a good restaurant worth going to IME.

Augustiner has lots of affiliated restaurants as well as halls, try Am Dom - nice!

Stoofer

Carbondale, Illinois
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Altes Hackerhaus vs Der Pschorr

Am Dom had made it to my radar, for its Augustiner, and close proximity to the church and Nürnberger Bratwurst Glöckl with its dubious history.

One question I was wondering if some one had an opinion on; Is it acceptable to Just order a few beers and a small appetizer at a restaurant as apposed to a full meal In Munich? I assume in the “beer halls” this would not be an issue, but in restaurants is this looked down upon?

With all the walking we will be doing and the weather being cold in December, were going to need break’s and beers through out the day, should we only stick to beer halls for these small break or would restaurants be accommodating also?

Thanks’

Phil

Edited: 11:13 am, June 16, 2012
Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,414 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Altes Hackerhaus vs Der Pschorr

There's restaurants and restaurants. Unless it's a Michelin starred, up its own backside place, I think you can call in for a soup, or a sandwich with no trouble.

Carbondale, Illinois
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Altes Hackerhaus vs Der Pschorr

Thanks ethelman,

I was a little concerned only because it seems most restaurants that get a negative review on trip advisor seems to correspond with some one wanting to make a light order. I understand that as the smaller the bill the smaller the tip for the waiter/waitress.

Phil