We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hofbrauhaus Freising - tomorrow night/Sunday night

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
15,294 posts
1 review
Hofbrauhaus Freising - tomorrow night/Sunday night

Hi Guys

I'm arriving lateish tomorrow in Freising.

Rather than jump on a train into the city, and as I've not been to Freising before, I wondered would there be a good atmosphere at the local Hofbrauhaus, or any other venue in Freising?

Anything special for Oktoberfest or is that limited to Munich Centre?

Any local knowledge appreciated.

Prost

Stoofer

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
15,294 posts
1 review
1. Re: Hofbrauhaus Freising - tomorrow night/Sunday night

:-(

Oh well, I'll have to wing it.

Stoofer

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
13,340 posts
274 reviews
2. Re: Hofbrauhaus Freising - tomorrow night/Sunday night

let us know how it was!

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
15,294 posts
1 review
3. Re: Hofbrauhaus Freising - tomorrow night/Sunday night

Hi Ethelman

Well, unluckily, it is closed!

Apparently new manager messed up, things are going to be changed, it should re-open but not for a while - so forget this Hofbrauhaus in Freising for a while.

Some of you guys might like my following observations of Freising:

The Weihenstephan beer garden and restaurant is nice (if a bit industrial in setting) but it was worth the 15min walk uphill - a pilgimage to try a beer from a brewer dating back to 1040! Amazing.

Nice Weissbeer and a 'box ticked'.

The town is delightful, quite small and basically revolving around one long street a couple of places around Marienplatz. Very pretty town, worth a night or two no more.

Hotel Bayerischer Hof in the main street was excellent value, big clean rooms all ensuite, t.v. nice beakfast for EUR48 single & EUR68 Double. Breafast was EUR6 extra if you take it.

A great find in Freising was Wirtshaus Weissbrau Huber, a really nice old beer restaurant serving Bavarian and Austrian specialities. Nice garden, service, food excellent and low cost. It's up a small cobbled street at the far end, furthest side away from Weihenstephan a couple of small bars and restaurants here but this place was outstanding and full of local regulars - definitely the place to eat when in Freising.

Easy bus transfer to the airport, bus every 20 mins, journey 25 mins.

Nice place to stop while visiting the area IMO, or as a day trip from Munich. The Sbahn is 45 mins to Munich Marienplatz and trains run about every 30 mins, some might like to base here to visit Munich.

Hope this is of interest to some.

Prost

Stoofer

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
18 reviews
4. Re: Hofbrauhaus Freising - tomorrow night/Sunday night

Stooofman... any signs of Aliquida in Freising? :P

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
15,294 posts
1 review
5. Re: Hofbrauhaus Freising - tomorrow night/Sunday night

After a few weissbeer, it's possible to see anything!

Maybe they closed the Hofbrauhaus as a precaution :-o

Stoofer

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
1 review
6. Re: Hofbrauhaus Freising - tomorrow night/Sunday night

Stoofer, now you see why we always spend an afternoon or evening at Weißbräu Huber! It's a keeper.

Steve

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
14 reviews
7. Re: Hofbrauhaus Freising - tomorrow night/Sunday night

>> Hotel Bayerischer Hof in the main street was excellent value ...

A great find in Freising was Wirtshaus Weissbrau Huber, a really nice old beer restaurant serving Bavarian and Austrian specialities. <<

Glad to hear the recommendations. I am only sorry that you did not post this to the Freising Board, where it would be easy to find for a couple years.

We had a good meal at the Hotel Bayerischer Hof and I was thinking about staying there in the future.

I will also try to remember the Wirthaus Weissbrau Huber. We noticed it but it was packed the time that we thought about eating there.

Regards, Gary

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
1 review
8. Re: Hofbrauhaus Freising - tomorrow night/Sunday night

Our first time there was about 5 years ago. One of the locals came over to our table and asked how it was that tourists found out about the place. I shared with him that I found it on a beer blog, because the locals were PO'd because the new owners (Hofbrauhaus) were going to sack the Polar Bear logo. He said that they had quite a row over it. He then welcomed us to enjoy our stay.

Most definitely a local hangout.

Steve

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
15,294 posts
1 review
9. Re: Hofbrauhaus Freising - tomorrow night/Sunday night

Hi Gary

I will post it on Freising forum, but it seems to be ignored in favour of Munich forum, that's why I added it when Ethelmamn asked me to post back.

The hotel was nice, but I've rarely found hotels better than finding where the locals gather in town, I make it a rule for myself never to eat dinner in hotels unless I'm totally stuck. Do make a note for next time, you won't be disappointed.

Hi Steve

We obviously have the same tastes.

Not much gets past me when it comes to eating out and taking in the local vibe :-)

I'm a good walker and when I first get to a new town

I'll do a quick couple of hours fast walking to check EVERY darn street :-) Back for a shower and then head out to the places that I think will suit me. I had two dinners and a lunch at the wirthaus, I couldn''t see past it :-)

Stoofer

10. Re: Hofbrauhaus Freising - tomorrow night/Sunday night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:21 am, March 30, 2010