We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel for a young man

corpus christi...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Hotel for a young man

I'm booking airfare and a hotel for my son. He's 25 years old and will be traveling alone on 4 December for one week. He plans on hooking up with his heavy metal band friends that are on tour through Europe. He wants to stay in Munich but I have no idea what type of hotel would best suit him. I'm sure he wants to be around clubs and the like. I'm not familiar with the city layout. What would you recommend I book? Priceline has some good deals on hotel/airfare packages but I don't know the difference between the "city center" and "downtown" and other locations they mention. I'm thinking a 3 star would be sufficient. 4 if it's a really good deal. Help?

KG
Oregon
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel for a young man

We showed up in Munich last November and just stopped at a little place( I swear there was one one every block)..for around 60 dollars. The little hotels are so clean and include breakfast. We walked to this great club close to the hotel. Is he willing to take a chance on finding something when he gets there??? I don't think most of the little places are on the big websites. My 22 year old son just shows up and always finds a place to stay...scary for me but thats the way he likes it.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,161 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel for a young man

Note that there is a trade fair going on at that time. Otherwise, walking in would be OK.

Heim+Handwerk

Dec. 3-11, 2005 Munich, Germany

28th Sales exhibition for living, interior decorating and building

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,574 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel for a young man

For hotels see

muenchen.de/Tourismus/…index.html

http://www.hrs.com

http://www.hotel.de

Don't the difference between "city center" and "downtown".

In Munich there is the "Altstadt" - this is the old, once walled area of the city.

Pretty easy to spot on a map

http://muenchen.citysam.de/stadtplan.htm

(The scale on this map is however wrong by factor 3 or so!)

Where once the city wall was there is no a ring of major (yellow) roads. Only a few gates are still standing in Munich.

The above linked hotels sites will all show the distance to the city center (Marienplatz in the middle of the Altstadt) and to the Hauptbahnhof (main railway station).

Hostel would be also an idea

muenchen.de/Tourismus/…03ahostelcamping.html

wombats-hostels.com/munich-hostel/index.php

is one of the best hostels

corpus christi...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel for a young man

Awesome advice. It's a bit scarey for me to have him just show up. He can't even speak the language. And then with the trade show happening, I guess I'd beter make arrangements for him. I'm checking into the suggested sites and hope to make a decisionl soon.

(Man, I'd like to go to that trade show!)