We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to Wear in Munich in December

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What to Wear in Munich in December

We are planning our trip to Munich for the first week of December. We will be traveling by train and plan to do some day trips to Salzburg, Rothenburg, and possibly Garmisch-Partenkirchen (we are not skiers, just want to see the scenery). As we have been living in a warm climate for the past 20 years, we are not sure what to take as far as footwear. Is a waterproof pair of shoes appropriate, or should we plan to be walking in slushy snow that we'd need boots?

Also, any suggestions on Christmas Markets? We are planning to visit the Marienplatz one and visit Tollwood in Munich, but any suggestions for others that were within train distance (day trip) from Munich is welcome!

Thanks, everyone!

Lewisville, Texas
Level Contributor
95 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to Wear in Munich in December

You are going to have so much fun!! A great weather site (in German but easy enough to figure out) is www.wetter.com. You can get a 10 day forecast for all the cities you plan to visit before you leave.

I have been in Germany in December too when there was a foot of snow on the ground in the Bavarian Alps and I regret not having boots that were waterproof and socks that are sold at outdoors places for hikers that will keep your feet warm. I have noticed in the last few years that many winter boot sellers sell boots with an insulated sock that is supposed to keep your feet warm and dry. I liked having the type of boot for hikers but when you go into stores, you leave an awful mess on their floors from the dirt and snow outside. Next time I hope to find a tennis shoe/snow shoe combo that you can find online.

If you decide to buy something in country, Munich would be much cheaper than a smaller town like Garmisch. Around the Marienplatz there were many shoe stores the last time I visited.

I can't help you on the Christmas Markets. If it's still here, Garmisch has a Kathe Wohlfarht store and there is also the original store in Rothenburg. Then will ship your purchases home for you at a fee but they will get there AFTER Christmas!

Good Luck!