We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tickets to Oktoberfest Munich

California
4 posts
1 review
Tickets to Oktoberfest Munich

Can you get tickets at Oktoberfest to the beer gardens etc.? We have recently booked the trip and are now scrambling to get tickets. What are the good tents? What do we need to know? We are not going opening day, but rather toward the end on a Monday and Tuesday. Any suggestions appreciated.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
41,990 posts
1. Re: Tickets to Oktoberfest Munich

What tickets? Access is free. With the tents it's just on a first come, first seated, first served base.

http://www.oktoberfest.de

has e.g. also some information about the single tents.

California
4 posts
1 review
2. Re: Tickets to Oktoberfest Munich

Thanks for your response. The website indicated reservations/tickets were needed to the big tents. We are just interested in walking around seeing it all and getting beers and food in whatever tent that looks good to us. Is this possible? Do you buy the tickets/vouchers for food and drink at each individual tent?

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
130 posts
20 reviews
31 helpful votes
3. Re: Tickets to Oktoberfest Munich

Tickets/vouchers are only for those with table reservations. Table reservations are limited to large groups of people, generally 8 or more. For an individual or small group of people, you just wander around in the tent of your choosing until you find empty seats at an unreserved table, then sit down and order from the first waitress that comes close to you.

Seating can be very difficult to find in the evenings, so plan to go during the day or get there by 3:30 or 4:00 pm to find unreserved seating, then stay there. With 14 big tents and many small ones as well, you should be able to find seating in some tent without too much trouble. If the weather is good, you can also sit in the outside beer gardens that all the big tents have.

California
4 posts
1 review
4. Re: Tickets to Oktoberfest Munich

Thanks. That helped tremendously. What are your recommendations for the "not to miss" tents?

Chicago
Level Contributor
228 posts
15 reviews
18 helpful votes
5. Re: Tickets to Oktoberfest Munich

I think asking about a "not to miss" tent is similar to asking "what restaurant is the best in <insert big city name here>."

Each tent has a personality and feel. The Oktoberfest.de website does a good job of describing them. However, generally accepted beliefs are that Hofbra Tent is one of the rowdiest and usually full of Americans/Aussies. Hippodrom is also popular with younger people.

I think the best option is to read a little about them, walk through some of them when you get there and "let your spirit guide you." I think it's hard to have a bad time at the Oktoberfest, regardless of the tent you're in.

California
4 posts
1 review
6. Re: Tickets to Oktoberfest Munich

Thanks for the info. I think I've got it now.

7. Re: Tickets to Oktoberfest Munich

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, October 08, 2009