We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's in the area?

Alabama
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What's in the area?

I am going to be staying at the Courtyard by Marriott on schwanthalerstrasse 37. What sort of attractions are in that area? How far is it from the main train station?

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's in the area?

Schwanthaler Str 37 is about one block south of the Main train Stration. That is about a 10-15 walk from Marienplatz or the center of town. The train station is a main transfer point for Sbahns and Ubahns; so with a partner day ticket most main tourist sights will be easy to reach.

Regards, Gary

Alabama
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What's in the area?

Thank you for the information. I guess most of my questions regard what tourist stuff is close to that area. Shopping, food, museums etc.

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's in the area?

"Thank you for the information. I guess most of my questions regard what tourist stuff is close to that area. Shopping, food, museums etc."

Main shopping lies along your walk from the train station to Marienplatz. The area is littered with restaurants near the train station and Marienplatz. The Residenz lies NNE of Marienplatz and still within walking distance. The art museums lie NNE of the train station, perhaps 15 minutes walking time. Other museums are scattered about the main core of town. The Englisher Garten and museums located near it were worth a Ubahn ride to us. We did not visit Nymphenburg but I understand that it is an Sbahn ride away. A map of the inner city and the metro system will be worthwhile to you.

Regards, Gary

Lompoc, California
Level Contributor
354 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's in the area?

A few blocks north of the station are the Pinakotheks (old and new0, premier art museums. Also nearby is the Bavarian State Museum. As Triskit said, 15 minute walk east takes you to Marianplatz and the home of the Glockespiel. Just north of that is the Victuelenmarket, just south are numerous beerhalls including the famous Hofbrauhaus. Another 10 to 15 minutes past the Marianplatz in the direction of the Isartor tower takes you to the German National Musem, a major industry and lifestyle museum, on an island in the Isar river (see http://www.deutsches-museum.de/en for details). However, as Triskit mentioned, a single day pass on the U-bahn/S-bahn gets you all over Munich and close to most of these attractions very quickly.

Lompoc, California
Level Contributor
354 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's in the area?

A few blocks north of the station are the Pinakotheks (old and new0, premier art museums. Also nearby is the Bavarian State Museum. As Triskit said, 15 minute walk east takes you to Marianplatz and the home of the Glockespiel. Just north of that is the Victuelenmarket, just south are numerous beerhalls including the famous Hofbrauhaus. Another 10 to 15 minutes past the Marianplatz in the direction of the Isartor tower takes you to the German National Musem, a major industry and lifestyle museum, on an island in the Isar river (see http://www.deutsches-museum.de/en for details). However, as Triskit mentioned, a single day pass on the U-bahn/S-bahn gets you all over Munich and close to most of these attractions very quickly.

6. Re: What's in the area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 am, September 19, 2009