We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Neuschwanstein Castle from Munich

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rio Rancho, New...
Level Contributor
52 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Neuschwanstein Castle from Munich

Does anyone have any information about the trip from Munich to Neuschwanstein Castle? My family and I will be stayinng in Munich late June/early July. Can this trip be done in one day? Any information would be helpful.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
125 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Neuschwanstein Castle from Munich

Yes, it can be done in one day. You can take an organized trip from Munich on a bus or do it on your own by train or car. If you take the time to go back through the previous posts you will find a ton of information. FÜSSEN is the train stop and Hohenschwangau is the village were the castle sits.

Grayline's Website

sightseeingmunich.de/eng/neuschwanstein.html

Hope this helps,

Lummy

Florida
Destination Expert
for Munich
Level Contributor
1,493 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Neuschwanstein Castle from Munich

Also;

www.Autobusoberbayern.de/

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,913 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Neuschwanstein Castle from Munich

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

To: Hohenschwangau

As a family the Bavaria Ticket will be the best deal. A day ticket covering the whole trip. S-Bahn, U-Bahn, trams, buses in Munich. Regional trains to Füssen. Buses from Füssen to Hohenschwangau.

EUR 27,00 for 2-5 persons.

Validity of the Bavaria Ticket:

Mo-Fr from 9am till 3am next day

Sa,So from midnight till 3am next day

You can reserve tickets in advance. This eliminates the risk that the next x tours are already booked out when you arrive. Please keep in mind that you have to collect the reserved tickets latest 1 hour befor the tour starts.

http://www.hohenschwangau.de/546.0.html

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
692 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Neuschwanstein Castle from Munich

Steve, we went to Neuschwanstein from Munich this January. We considered doing an organised trip and thought we might try it ourselves. I would recommend doing it yourself as I watched other tours there being rushed around and nearly missing their tour because their food was not ready in the restaurant. We caught the train from Munich just before 9am and arrived in Fussen around 11. There were buses waiting outside the train station and for a couple of euro they drive you through Fussen to Swangau (think thats the spelling) in about 10 minutes. From the bus stop it is a turn right and a 5 minute walk to ticket office. Once you have your tickets you will know what time your tour is. The day we went it was snowing and very icy so no buses were driving up the mountain. Horses were going but not enough for all the people. In the end we walked up there and it took about 50 minutes. There was a really nice restaurant about 5 minutes from the top that had great meals at pretty good prices. If you want to know anything else email me and I will try to answer. By the way you can prebook tickets on the Neuschwanstein website.

Melbourne
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Neuschwanstein Castle from Munich

I'm also looking at going to both of the castles in May. I've found from previous experience that tours are often rushed so thought i'd try and do it by myself.

Ok, I guess I have a few questions though.

I basically know how to get there etc (from all your helpful info and some research) so that's not my main concern but how safe is it for a girl travelling alone early morning? I was thinking of getting a fairly early train in order to arrive there early. It would probably be a train about 5am ish.

I'd be catching a train from Hauptbanhof- Munich to fussen. (the station is a short walk from where i'm staying)

Also, is it going to be too rushed to get both of the castles done in the same day? I'd like to spend some time looking around in fussen sightseeing.

How often do the buses also run from fussen to Hohenschwangau?

And how busy will it be in May? I'm tossing up whether or not I should also reserve tickets as well for the castles.

One more question, with the bavaria ticket to there: when you buy a ticket there is you don't have to specify a time of return or anything like that do you?

Thanks for the help :)

Downey, CA
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Neuschwanstein Castle from Munich

Check out the Gray Line Tours website for Munich day trips by bus, including Neuschwanstein. I've taken Gray Line bus tours in other European cities, and heve been pleased with the service.

grayline.com/grayline/…munich.go

Good luck!

--Mark

virginia
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Neuschwanstein Castle from Munich

We are also going to Munich in June and plan on visiting the castles. I would love to get the Bavaria ticket since it is such a good deal, but my question is whether leaving at 9am and getting there around 11am will give us enough time to see both castles? We will probably go on a weekday not the weekend, so we would have to wait until 9 to use the ticket.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
692 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Neuschwanstein Castle from Munich

The only train leaving from Munich around 9am leaves at about 8.53 or something like that so you wont be able to use the bavarian ticket until after nine. We had an unrestricted rail pass so had no problems at all about the time. I have spoken to others though that said you will need to buy a ticket to cover you from the start of the trip until a couple of stations down when it is 9am.

In relation to it being rushed and arriving at 11. We were a bit rushed but it was so snowy that the bus wasn't running and we walked up the hill. I am pretty unfit and the icy conditions meant it took about an hour to get to the top. Apparently in summer it is alot quicker. We could have squeezed in the other castle but we opted to have lunch in the restaurant at the top of the hill near Neuschwanstein in stead. After all the walking a nice hot lunch was great. You could do it if you arrived at 11 as long as you don't waste time.

I am sure planned tours would be okay but the 2 tours we saw were rushing around and the tour director gave them about 15minutes to order and eat lunch. We found it really easy doing it ourselves and alot cheaper!

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
692 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Neuschwanstein Castle from Munich

The only train leaving from Munich around 9am leaves at about 8.53 or something like that so you wont be able to use the bavarian ticket until after nine. We had an unrestricted rail pass so had no problems at all about the time. I have spoken to others though that said you will need to buy a ticket to cover you from the start of the trip until a couple of stations down when it is 9am.

In relation to it being rushed and arriving at 11. We were a bit rushed but it was so snowy that the bus wasn't running and we walked up the hill. I am pretty unfit and the icy conditions meant it took about an hour to get to the top. Apparently in summer it is alot quicker. We could have squeezed in the other castle but we opted to have lunch in the restaurant at the top of the hill near Neuschwanstein in stead. After all the walking a nice hot lunch was great. You could do it if you arrived at 11 as long as you don't waste time.

I am sure planned tours would be okay but the 2 tours we saw were rushing around and the tour director gave them about 15minutes to order and eat lunch. We found it really easy doing it ourselves and alot cheaper!

Mexico
Level Contributor
227 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Neuschwanstein Castle from Munich

Thanks to all your answers my family and I are clarifying our ideas on how to get to the castle.

Thanks again.