We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Viktualienmarkt - Question

Oxnard, California
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Viktualienmarkt - Question

I'll be arriving in Munich on Saturday, Sept 15, probably mid to late afternoon. I will only be in Munich until probably midday on Monday the 17th. Is there any chance the Viktualienmarkt might be open that Sunday, given that Oktoberfest is just one week away? I know a lot of the preparations will be underway for Oktoberfest, but I also understand that the Viktualienmarkt is usually not open on Sundays. This is one aspect of Munich I would love to experience, if only for an hour or so. It looks like I might have to do it on Monday morning, just before I take the train to Salzburg.

Bellevue, WA
Level Contributor
529 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Viktualienmarkt - Question

Here's the official website that gives the opening hours of each stall. I don't see any that are open on Sundays.

muenchen.de/Rathaus/…index.html

As far as I know, the strict shopping hours law is still in force that would prevent the market from opening on Sundays. In fact, the only stores you will probably find open will be at the train station.

Prittlbach, Germany
Level Contributor
574 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Viktualienmarkt - Question

No open stalls on sunday. But you can go there really early on monday and see it come alife. There's a coffee and bakery stall which opens at 5.30 a.m. Most stalls open at 9 a.m.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,384 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Viktualienmarkt - Question

Go straight there on the Saturday you arrive, the stalls will be open until early evening, so you can at least look around. The beer garden until about 10pm, still a great atmosphere.

Stoofer

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,384 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Viktualienmarkt - Question

P.S. I often arrive in the city around 3pm - 4pm and spend a couple of hours there.

Oxnard, California
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Viktualienmarkt - Question

I will definitely try to get there on Saturday afternoon, and probably on Monday morning as well. I'm not sure, since this is my first visit to Munich, how much time it will take to get from the airport to my hotel (very close to the Marienplatz). This is my first time travelling internationally, so the whole customs process and buying train tickets will be new to me. I'm sure it will all be fine, but for my first time it might take me a little longer than it would had I been there before. Thank you for the helpful advice!!

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,384 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Viktualienmarkt - Question

Hi Jam1961

What time does your flight arrive? What hotel are you staying in?

I'll be pleased to give you some time expectations and a route.

If your spending a late afternoon around the market, a great place for dinner would be Ratskeller on Marienplatz.

If you want advice just ask. I'm used to spending time on my own in the city as I visit on business and normally stay an extra day or two.

I too stay near the market - always.

Stoofer

Oxnard, California
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Viktualienmarkt - Question

Hi Stoofer. Thanks for the help and advice. My flight arrives at 12:35 pm on Saturday the 15th. I'll be staying at the Hotel Cortiina, not far from the Marienplatz. My plan was to take the S-Bahn from the airport all the way to Marienplatz (S-1 or S-8). I will not be renting a car at all. Assuming my flight arrives on time, I thought I would probably be at my hotel by 3 or 4 pm at the latest. Since I've never been to Munich (and unfortunately am not fluent in German), it might take me a little longer to get situated at the airport (customs, luggage, and tickets for the S-Bahn) before I actually get to my hotel.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,384 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Viktualienmarkt - Question

Hi Jam1961

Well, it's good news for you because assuming your flight arrives on time, I'd expect to be checked into the hotel, showered and having a beer in Viktualienmarkt by 3.00 - 3.30 latest.

Munich airport is excellent IMO. There should be no huge delay at passport control and baggage should expect to be collected within 1/2 hr after landing, unless you get stop checked at customs, you should be walking to the SBahn within 45 mins of landing.

Follow signs for SBAHN, S8 or S1. indoors all the way. You walk through a small shopping mall for around 10mins tops, until you arrive at the central point. Escalators take you to the S Bahn, just 1 floor below and you are directly on the tracks for S1 or S8.

NOTE: Just before the Escalators, you will see ticket machines, if unsure ask someone, it's about 9 EUR so have a EUR10 note with you. Ticket issued on receipt of coins or notes.

There will most likely be a train at the platform, if a choice jump onto S1 it's slightly quicker, but if only S8 is there jump on that. Trains will leave every 10 -15 mins. With two trains, the chances are in favour of a 5 -10 min wait. It's only a 45 min train ride to Marienplatz. On the train they announce stops, and there is the name of the station approaching shown in the carriages.

I'd expect you to be in Marienplatz by 2.30 easily, as you go up and off the escalators, it's a grand sight to behold. There are different exits but it can confuse so just get up and into the platz. You will see the town hall and famous clock tower. Stand facing the front looking at it for a while then turn to your right and head for the big Arch way at the start of the platz. Go through the arch way, you'll see taxi rank

and it's a large street with traffic called Sparkassenstrasse on the left. Walk up Sparkassenstasse. I think your hotel is then 1st on the right in Ledererstrasse. It's close to the Hofbrauhaus. Take a map or ask someone if unsure but it really could not be any simpler than 1st left out of Marienplatz, then first right. If you walk in that direction it's 10 min walk. about 400 yds .

As you walk through the arch before turning into Sparkassenstrasse, look to your right and you will see the start of Viktualienmarkt. So, your hotel is in a very convenient position, 10 min walk to the market maximum. From hotel you can take a short cut by the side of Weissbrauhaus, once you know the location.

If you are going straight to the market, the beer garden is self serve, you'll see the small queue, just take a glass of beer and pay at the till, grab a seat anywhere and have a relaxing first hour taking in the vibe. The stalls will be open.

Prost!

Stoofer

Oxnard, California
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Viktualienmarkt - Question

Thank you Stoofer!! What helpful details you have provided. I do have a map of central Munich and my hotel is actually shown on it. It sounds like everything is so efficient, and I'm sure I will find things easily. Two weeks from Saturday and I will be there!

Oxnard, California
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Viktualienmarkt - Question

I just thought of a few other things. When taking the S-Bahn, would I be able to buy a single day ticket at the machines, or do I have to buy that at a ticket window? I also have a Eurail Select Pass, but didn't plan on using that until I left Munich and headed to Salzburg. Would I be able to validate the pass at the airport, or should I just do that at the train station in Munich (Hauptbahnhof)? I hear it's about a 15-minute walk from Marienplatz to the train station?

Thank you again for all of your help.