We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1/2 day in munich. Whats a must see?

glasgow
Level Contributor
57 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
1/2 day in munich. Whats a must see?

Got a half day in munich what must I see?

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,565 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 1/2 day in munich. Whats a must see?

With such short time. Just take the UBahn to Marienplatz.

Take a walk in the historic area, a beer in Hofbrauhouse (5 min walk) and check out Victualienmarkt, another beer in their traditional beer garden in the market.

If time for lunch, on Marienplatz you'll see Ratskeller. Worth going down to see this rstaurant even if you don't eat! You can eat

bavarian fast food in the Beer garden if no time.

Stoofer

Burbank, California
Level Contributor
412 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1/2 day in munich. Whats a must see?

I would be curious if anyone has anything to add or would like to challenge this posting.

I, knowing nothing about Munich or Germany, was also curious about this for a possible future adventure. This sounds perfect to my husband and I as the only thing we knew about Germany was beer. Granted we did not want everything to revolve around it but definitely a requirement....beer.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,842 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 1/2 day in munich. Whats a must see?

self guided walking tour through the historic centre

frommers.com/destinations/…0099020033.html

frommers.com/images/destinations/maps/jpg/99…

another map

www.muenchen.citysam.de/stadtplan-mus.htm

Ratskeller homepage

http://www.ratskeller-muenchen.de/

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,936 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1/2 day in munich. Whats a must see?

You want to have a beer in a Munich beer hall not necessarily for the beer, but for the beer hall experience. Visit a beer hall, and just wander around the previously described areas.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,565 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 1/2 day in munich. Whats a must see?

JatCA

There is a lot to see and experience in Munich so lots can be added but not if you have 1/2 day only.

Challenge, other opinions? Well people may but I doubt it because Aldstadt (historic centre) is 'the' must see and you need 1/2 day as described. To miss it would be silly.

It also takes in two famous 'beer' activities in Munich. Hofbrauhaus (which I personally dislike but a must see for the experience) and a traditonal beer garden in the market, quintesential Munich.

If you want further beer experience, Weissbrauhaus is also just on the edge of Marienplatz opposite Viktualienmark. Those three different drink venues will give you great and different 'tastes' of Munich.

If you are planning a trip, try for 3 day visit IMO. It's a great destination for a long-weekend break.

Stoofer

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1/2 day in munich. Whats a must see?

Don't mind all of that. What you must see is the English Garden. The place is just plastered in sunbathers. Everyone having a great time. Sitting around drinking. But the best part is, the man made river that goes through it. At the end of the river is a man made wave for "urban surfing". It was one of the coolest things I saw in Munich. Take a look see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWjdX97xHvc

Doesn't that look mental?

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,565 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 1/2 day in munich. Whats a must see?

Yes, it's a great park in the summer. Nudists around as well, not sure if that's good or bad :-)

The urban surfing? Yes, it's cool but with only 1/2 day it'll be a rush,

good web film though Clairconcept.

I like urban chic, it's often very unexpected - like water sking in Belgrade.

Stoofer

8. Re: 1/2 day in munich. Whats a must see?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, September 04, 2009