We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin - Munich -Salzburg

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
17 reviews
Dublin - Munich -Salzburg

I’ve read hundreds of responses on travel from Munich to Salzburg and still can’t wrap my head around this.

I fly Ryan air on a Tuesday from Dublin to Munich, arriving Munich at 20:35. I would like to take the train that evening to Salzburg and return to Munich Thursday morning. Is this possible and if so, please tell me how to do this on Tuesday evening.

Thanks so much for your help.

Best Seller
Royal Castles of Neuschwanstein and...
4,368 Reviews
from $63.20*
Best Seller
Small-Group Neuschwanstein and...
465 Reviews
from $139.20*
Best Seller
Neuschwanstein Castle Small-Group Day...
1,901 Reviews
from $57.30*
6 replies to this topic
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
658 posts
52 reviews
1. Re: Dublin - Munich -Salzburg

Have a look at the attached DB timetable. If you type in Munich Airport to Salzburg HBF it will tell you how to get there. Basically you need to get the SBahn from the airport to Munchen Ost. You will then have around 15 minute wait until the connecting Meridian train arrives which will take you on to Salzburg.

You can purchase a Bayern ticket at the airport for the Journey, if you are traveling on your own this will cost 25 Euros and will cover both the S Bahn and Meridan trains.

Looking at the timetable, if you could get the SBahn at 21.04, that would then allow you to get to Salzburg HBF at around 23.37. If you can’t get that then the just get the next available SBahn, The Meridian trains run every hour so you would then be looking at being in Salzburg at around 00.37.

You can also purchase a Bayern ticket for your return journey but you won’t be able to use it until after 9am. If you are staying in Munich then depending on where you are staying it will probably be better to go to Munchen HBF as opposed to Ost.

https://www.bahn.com/i/view/index.shtml

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,463 posts
32 reviews
2. Re: Dublin - Munich -Salzburg

Please note that the last Meridian at Munich Ost will be at 23:59

Timetable

https://www.meridian-bob-brb.de/uploads/bb/s…

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
5,195 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: Dublin - Munich -Salzburg

And what would be the point of this? Are hotels in Salzburg cheaper or better than in Munich. For you won't get anything else but a short night of sleep.

Check out www.bahn.com for train schedules, then book a hotel in Munich, and if you want to travel to Salzburg, okay, but you need more time.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
36 reviews
4. Re: Dublin - Munich -Salzburg

ive taken this flight and met people off it and from that experience you will not be out of security until well after 9pm, thanks to bus from plane and passport checks

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
658 posts
52 reviews
5. Re: Dublin - Munich -Salzburg

@Petra F, I think you may have miss read the initial post. The OP is heading to Salzburg Tuesday night and going back to Munich on Thursday morning so they will have a full day and night in Salzburg which seems reasonable enough.

I think perhaps you looked at the post and thought the OP was coming back the next day which would have made no sense at all, given the 5 hour round trip.

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
17 reviews
6. Re: Dublin - Munich -Salzburg

THank you Dean. Yes I am wanting a full day in Salzburg with no travel so I’d rather get in late and have the full day. This trip has me moving the first week almost every night. I’m looking forward to two nights in Salzburg even if the first is just to go to sleep.

Reply to: Dublin - Munich -Salzburg
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted