We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days outside of Munich

St. Albans, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
23 reviews
2 days outside of Munich

I arrive in Munich on Wednesday afternoon and I'd like to spend two days outside of Munich, maximum time of about 2-3 hours on a bus or a train.

(I'm meeting friends on the Friday for Oktoberfest, so it would be nice to go somewhere peaceful).

I'm not too specific - however, I'd like to see a famous town or village and/or a nice lake or hiking trail. I realise there's less accommodation in these places.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Best Seller
Royal Castles of Neuschwanstein and...
4,359 Reviews
from $63.50*
Best Seller
Small-Group Neuschwanstein and...
463 Reviews
from $140.00*
Best Seller
Neuschwanstein Castle Small-Group Day...
1,897 Reviews
from $57.60*
4 replies to this topic
charlotte
Level Contributor
19 posts
33 reviews
1. Re: 2 days outside of Munich

Hop a train to fairyland - Fussen and/or Neuschwanstein are both lovely, interesting, and beautifully Bavarian! Simple to get to, tickets are easy - beautiful lake and hiking trail as well.

Completely removed from Munich and the Oktoberfest hoopla -

Edited: 12:59 pm, September 24, 2018
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
15,628 posts
53 reviews
2. Re: 2 days outside of Munich

3 suggestions.

First, stay overnight in Hohenschwangau ( www.hohenschwangau.de ) in a room at a hotel that has close-up views of lit-up by night Neuschwanstein Palace. Visit also Hohenschwangau Palace and the town of Fuessen which has attractions of its own. By staying overnight you can enjoy the exterior of Neuschwanstein under various lighting and weather conditions, and you'll be there after the tourist hordes depart in the early evening and before they arrive in the later morning.

Second, visit the Chiemsee (large lake) between Munich and Salzburg. Herrenchiemsee on an island of that name hosts Ludwig II's version of Versailles. Next door is the medieval convent island of Frauenchiemsee. I would see if it is possible to stay on it overnight. These places are only reachable by boat.

Third, Salzburg is simply one of my favorite towns in Europe, and although very touristy, it has a wonderful ambiance. There's lots to see and do there and nearby, things that are also FUN. Stay in the old town and for dessert have a Salzburger Nockerl.

These things are different from each other, all are excellent, and would allow you to visit a place that best fits YOUR interests.

St. Albans, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
23 reviews
3. Re: 2 days outside of Munich

Thanks that helpful - is it better to stay in Fussen or Neuwenstein?

tennesee
Level Contributor
558 posts
186 reviews
4. Re: 2 days outside of Munich

So many options - Garmisch-Partenkirchen (hiking, site of the 1936 Winter Olympics, Zugspitze), Oberammergau (quaint mountain village famous for it's woodcarving, house paintings, Passion Play (next one is in 2020) near Linderhof and Ettal), Mittenwald (mountains, hiking, violin making), Bertchesgaden (Eagle's Nest, lake, mountains).

Or go north to Regensburg.

Edited: 9:17 am, September 25, 2018
Reply to: 2 days outside of Munich
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted