We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going alone to the oktoberfest..

Level Contributor
1 post
26 reviews
Going alone to the oktoberfest..

Hey,

I was supposed to come on the 29-30 with a friend..

Unfortunately he is super sick and will miss it..

I don’t want to cancel the trip..

do you think it’s will be ok to go solo ?

Do you recommend maybe going for a tour?

8 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,628 posts
291 reviews
1. Re: Going alone to the oktoberfest..

Go and you will still have fun. I have been solo on two occasions and still had a fabulous time. People will talk to you.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
36 reviews
2. Re: Going alone to the oktoberfest..

Definitely go on your own. The Oktoberfest is more than a drinking session. About 2/3rds of the area is amusements and just to see the whole festival (sober) is great in itsself, especially at nights when the amusements light up the sky.

Not sure if you're male or female, but if on your own as a woman, just be careful later in the evening in the beertents. Its just a fresh topic in my mind as my wife last night had a random Argentinian (who as she said could have been her son, he was that much younger than her) chat her up, proclaim love and then despite being told to go away, that she has husband and kids, fairly forcefully try and kiss her.

So, definitely go, but just be on your guard for leery drunken people should you be in their midst later in the day!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
8,233 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Going alone to the oktoberfest..

We will be there same time, so let me know if you like join for a beer!

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
36 reviews
4. Re: Going alone to the oktoberfest..

I just thought I'd post here too, that there is a special safe place for girls/ women at Oktoberfest ran by volunteers where you can go if you find yourself alone or you loose your phone or find yourself distressed or being followed or cant figure out where you're staying or whatever.

Its behind the Schottenhammel tent, go in the first aid entrance and they'll guide you to "Safe Oktoberfest for Women" volunteers

1 post
5. Re: Going alone to the oktoberfest..

Book tours for sure . Im going the same time and booked a day trip or city tour almost every day . But book NOW, before you get there . Im seeing a lot that are sold out . I assume because of the large Oktoberfest crowd.

Dont know you are male or female , young or old but if your really want to go just do it . I had doubts when I considered going but not im really anxious . Enjoy

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
19,809 posts
60 reviews
6. Re: Going alone to the oktoberfest..

Not sure if you really need tours, but if you want to, why not

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
36 reviews
7. Re: Going alone to the oktoberfest..

Depends too what "tour" you mean.

If you mean a "tour" that someone asks for €100 to walk you to the Oktoberfest just after midday, do a half a lap of the grounds whilst getting told that its the remnants of a celebration of a royal wedding, before then having a guaranteed table in a tent which on a weekday will be half empty anyhow, then thats not really necessary and is the exact definition of a rip off.

If you mean getting a bus tour to Neuschwanstein or the likes, then they do have an added value as it might offer more places to visit than public transport and overall an easier experience, and they could well be selling out fast

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
36 reviews
8. Re: Going alone to the oktoberfest..

From looking around, a "tour" of Oktoberfest from a reputable company can cost €140 per person. That includes a reservation (which btw is free) a chicken and 2x beers and spin on the big wheel, of combined value of just under €50, the tour portion then obviously being the €90 premium youre paying.

Reply to: Going alone to the oktoberfest..
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted