We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfer Time Munich Airport from USA to Lviv, Ukraine

Madison, Alabama
1 post
Save Topic
Transfer Time Munich Airport from USA to Lviv, Ukraine

Our family will be traveling from USA to Munich via American Airlines next week. We'll arrive in Munich at 0645 and will have to transfer to Lufthansa into Lviv, which departs at 0855. Do you think this will be enough time for us, me, my wife, and 5 year old, to make it to our connecting flight? We'll have to get our bags, go through customs and recheck our bags. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Lviv
Lviv
Lviv Oblast, Ukraine
7 replies to this topic
Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
12,834 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transfer Time Munich Airport from USA to Lviv, Ukraine

If this means you are on two separate tickets, I'd be concerned. This is because if your incoming were delayed, LH (on a separate ticket) would probably treat you as a no show, leaving you needing a walkup ticket (and return)

If your incoming is on time then I'd say there's enough time. I guess you need to change terminals too, and unless there's some fiddle, you'd need to enter Germany to get hold of your bags. Immigration would then be a possible hold up

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,352 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transfer Time Munich Airport from USA to Lviv, Ukraine

If your flight arrives right on time you will have a chance.

But why on earth would you book two international flights on separate tickets only two hours apart?

Good luck, you‘re gonna need it.

Edited: 4:08 pm, June 11, 2018
Oakland, California
Level Contributor
70 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transfer Time Munich Airport from USA to Lviv, Ukraine

Based on my experience with Munich Airport, I do not think you have enough time.

Recently, I had a flight booked Berlin to Munich to SFO, California. There was bad weather in Munich, and so,

my Berlin flight departed about 45/50 minutes late. All of this was booked with Lufthansa. My luggage was booked through to the USA. I had to spend the night at the Moxy Airport Hotel, which I would rate as horrid. I have not yet written my review of the Moxy or my review of Lufthansa.

I think you need at least four hours, if not more. You may arrive in one terminal and depart from another terminal. There could be bad weather in Munich, etc.

Just so you know, Munich is a beautiful airport. On the upper and lower levels, it looks like quite a number of restaurants serve delicious food or sandwiches. They also have some sleeper-type of pods that are free or lounge chairs that are free. They have a children't area which has a slide. I did, however, have a problem with some of their restrooms being closed off for construction...a lot of walking to find an open one.

Just so you know, I thought this airport had quite a nice grocery store in it. I think it was an Edeka. To find it, I think you would be in the unsecured part of the airport. If you are inside, but walk as though you are heading to the outside buses or taxis, you should see it. It looks like this market is stocked well, and especially stocked well in the morning. Of course, liquids cannot then be brought through Security.

Mentioned in this post
Munich Airport
Munich Airport
Hallbergmoos, Germany
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich
Level Contributor
3,646 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transfer Time Munich Airport from USA to Lviv, Ukraine

as said above, its a massive difference between travelling with bags checked through (2 flights on same ticket) or if you have 2 tickets and have to collect bags and check-in again.

If you are on one ticket, your checked bags get dealt with by ground staff, you only need to find the shuttle bus to get you from behind security in Terminal 1 to behind security in Terminal 2 (the bus links non-schengen to non-schengen). You have no immigration on leaving terminal 1. You have no security check and no-emigration at terminal 2. It could not be more straight forward.

If you have separate tickets and you have checked luggage, you have a passport check to get to the baggage hall, collect the bags, customs (which in your case is minimal but if you do get stopped it can add time to the procedure), go to terminal 2 and drop bags (I'd presume you'd have checked in already online and have those passes to hand or on your phone(s)), then security, then border control.

So any delay on the incoming flight and it'll be quite tight.

If you have separate tickets but are ok to travel with hand luggage only then you can skip all the immigration, emigration, collect bag, potential customs delay, drop bag and re-do security by travelling hand luggage only and simply taking the shuttle from behind security in T1 to T2. Between 2 adults and a child thats about 30kg, 60pounds of stuff you can bring as hand luggage so its worth considering.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
218 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Transfer Time Munich Airport from USA to Lviv, Ukraine

The OP didn't yet give the information if he is on one ticket for both flights and if his baggage will be checked through or not. That will make a huge difference.

In general, I feel that the ever increasing use of flight booking engines is to blame for more and more people ending up with tight connections booked on different airlines with no interlining agreements for the luggage. These engines often simply show the cheapest price and people fall for it, not realizing they don't have a guaranteed connection but are rather booked on different tickets on different airlines that don't cooperate with each other.

That's why I always recommend booking the entire trip directly with an airline website because most of the times airlines offer only connections where they have interlining agreements for checking the baggage through to the final destination and allowing for smooth connections.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,352 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transfer Time Munich Airport from USA to Lviv, Ukraine

OP did say they‘d have to collect bags so I‘d assume they are booked on separate tickets.

This combination of flights on one ticket would be very unusual (Lufthansa and American being in separate alliances) but not impossible.

Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transfer Time Munich Airport from USA to Lviv, Ukraine

Pure luck, if you AA flight arrive at least on time, you have some chances.

Reply to: Transfer Time Munich Airport from USA to Lviv, Ukraine
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;