We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving as a tourist in Germany

Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Driving as a tourist in Germany

All, I have a valid driving license issued by local authorities in Pakistan. It’s in English with my photo and signature. Wondering is it sufficient to get a rental car & drive around in Germany?

Really appreciate an insight on this as I am getting different answers from different sources.

Thanks a lot

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
5 replies to this topic
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
23,982 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving as a tourist in Germany

you should get an IDP. it is advisable but not compulsory in germany and if you go into austria, it is mandatory.

rental company will accept your driving licence as it is in english.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
18,764 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving as a tourist in Germany

I would take my Passport in addition to the Driver Liscense, just to make sure. You did not mention where you want to go as in general taking a train is way faster and driving inside a city is just stress that you would not need

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
40,111 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving as a tourist in Germany

Here the official information on this by the German Federal Ministry of Transport

https:/…

> you should get an IDP. it is advisable but not compulsory

A translation is compulsory. The IDP is such a translation. Albeit Germany does also allow other official translations. Which are however normally neither easier nor cheaper to get.

Note that with translation in first place it is meant what you are allowed to drive. Less about language.

You don't need a translation however if your domestic driving licence does conform to the provisions of Annex 6 of the Convention on Road Traffic of 8 November 1968.

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving as a tourist in Germany

Thanks very helpful

Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving as a tourist in Germany

Planning to drive from Munich to Amsterdam.

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Reply to: Driving as a tourist in Germany
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;