We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Munich to Freiburg

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
158 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Munich to Freiburg

I have to get to Freiburg but my plane lands in Munich. I've heard train connections are a nightmare so thought of renting a car. Can anyone tell me roughly how long it will take to drive? Is there a good scenic route that I can take and perhaps stop overnight somewhere?

Thanks so much

Judi

Freiburg im...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Munich to Freiburg

>I've heard train connections are a nightmare>

Going by car is a nightmare, whereas train connections are okay:

To: FR

Freiburg im...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Munich to Freiburg

Sorry, I forgot the link:

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/e

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,574 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Munich to Freiburg

Base problem is the same for car or train. There is no fast direct link as the Swabian Alb and the Black Forest mountain ranges are in between.

The most direct route is however scenic. And as mainly served by local trains also cheaper.

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

To: FR

Via: Titisee-Neustadt

Esp. nice:

Upper Danube Valley Railway

naturpark-obere-donau.de/praesent/foto-praes…

Hell Valley Railway

fotozug.de/strecken/Hoellental/hoelle.htm#01

Also cheap this route:

Sa or Su: Happy-Weekend-Ticket (1-5 pers. EUR 33,00)

Mo-Fr past 9am:

Munich Airport to Ulm

Bavaria Ticket (1p EUR 19,00 2-5p EUR 27,00)

Ulm to Freiburg

Baden-Württemberg Ticket (1p EUR 18,00 2-5p EUR 27,00)

The Baden-Württemberg Ticket does also cover the trams and buses in Freiburg.

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
158 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Munich to Freiburg

but the train takes something like 4-5 hours? Which would be OK if I hadn't just got off a plane that had also taken 4-5 hours. I figured I could drive for a couple of hours and stop off, walk about, even stay over somewhere.

Why would it be more of a nightmare to drive?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,574 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Munich to Freiburg

Forgot: the above mentioned cheap day tickets are only valid for local trains (S-Bahn, RB, RE, IRE).

Choose at the DB timetable as means of transport "only local transport" if you want to use the cheap day tickets.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,574 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Munich to Freiburg

Travel time by car is also 4 hours.

Without traffic jams. But there are some well known bottlenecks on this route. And the B31 through Freiberg can be really a nightmare.

> I figured I could drive for a couple of hours and stop off, walk about, even stay over somewhere.

You can do this as well by train.

A normal train ticket for this route will be valid 2 days and allow stopovers en route. And you have more time for the scenery. Driving on German autobahns needs full attention by the driver. And you see much less (noise protection walls). And if you stay over night somewhere you have to pay the rental car for two days.

With the cheap day tickets for local trains I mentioned, you can also make stopovers. On a weekday Ulm would be the perfect place to stay, as it can be reached on the Bavaria Ticket and the Baden-Württemberg Ticket.

http://tourismus.ulm.de

400 km x 8 l/100km = 32 l ~ EUR 50 fuel costs for this distance.

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
158 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Munich to Freiburg

thanks very much for your help.

I looked at the local trains and the travelling time goes up to 6-8 hours which would be fine if I had a lot of time but unfortunately I am only in Germany for 4 days so time is precious.

I am thinking about renting a car, driving to Salzburg from Munich for one day then back to Germany and start heading for Freiburg with an overnight stop on the way.

If I do carry out this plan by car, do you still think I should stop over at Ulm or can you suggest somewhere else?

Thanks a lot,

Judi

Freiburg im...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Munich to Freiburg

>I should stop over at Ulm or can you suggest somewhere else?<

The more scenic route is going along the Lake Constance, where you could stay overnight at Lindau or Konstanz. From there you can travel to Freiburg via the black forest.

9. Re: Driving from Munich to Freiburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:27 am, August 30, 2009