We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far from Marienplatz to the rail station?

Denver, Colorado
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How far from Marienplatz to the rail station?

Is the Hauptbahnhof train station within a short walk of Marienplatz?

Prittlbach, Germany
Level Contributor
574 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How far from Marienplatz to the rail station?

With no luggage I can walk it in about 15-20 min.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
39,894 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How far from Marienplatz to the rail station?

Approx. 10 minutes to the Hauptbahnhof (main railway station).

But you can start your journey also directly at Marienplatz S-Bahn station,

e.g.

- with a rail pass (S-Bahn trains are covered)

- with point to point tickets with departure station "Munich Marienplatz" (if your destination is outside the greater Munich area, same price like from Hauptbahnhof.)

- with MVV local public transport tickets (inside the greater Munich area, as they cover all local public transport, incl. the S-Bahn)

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,457 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How far from Marienplatz to the rail station?

I had wondered about this - it looks like on my map that the S-bahn (that's the above-ground one, right?) goes directly from the hauptbahnhof to the Marienplatz with no changes - right?

I'm staying at the Platzl so I figure if I get off at the marienplatz stop that I can roll my luggage to the hotel with no problems.

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,089 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How far from Marienplatz to the rail station?

The S-Bahn platforms at the Münich Hauptbahnhof are on the northside - 2 levels underground. Depart your night train from Amsterdam and proceed East towards the front of the station. Just before the doors out there are escalators down.

Go down 1 level and head off to the left. Follow the green signs with a white S to another set of escalators down to the S-Bahn platforms. All trains in the direction of Marienplatz, east, stop at Marienplatz. Marienplatz is the 2nd stop. Exit right and two sets of escalators to street level.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,847 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: How far from Marienplatz to the rail station?

Easy 15 min walk, or 2 stops on S or U Bahn.

Marienplatz station is directly under the platz, the escalators take you up and you walk off directly into the square.

Stoofer

Florida
Level Contributor
1,493 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How far from Marienplatz to the rail station?

All of the previous postings are correct. It depends on which part of the Marienplatz you are at. On the "far" end, near the Hofbrauhaus, Hard Rock Cafe, etc.... It's easily 20 min walk. ON the closer side, near the Augustiner Reataurant, and some good shopping, it closer to 12 mins. Either way, it's an easy walk. I almost never have to use the U-Bahn to travel 3k's or less.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,847 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: How far from Marienplatz to the rail station?

I know what you mean Suskin, however

Not trying to split hairs :-) But, Hofbrauhouse and Augusteiner keller are two completely different areas. I don't think either can be described as in Marienplatz.

To avoid confusion. Surely, Marienplatz is the square. It's only 100 yds wide, from the arches to the end of the clocktower, unless I'm mistaken after all these years.

Stoofer

Florida
Level Contributor
1,493 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How far from Marienplatz to the rail station?

True. But many people consider the main street which runs thru Marienplatz / Glockenspeil / City Hall are as sort of a "Marienplatz" thru-way - when describing it to outsiders. You are correct, especially about the Hofbrauhaus...being in a completely different area. I just try to tell people staying near the Theresienweise or Hbf - to walk under the fountain, thru the Marienplatz, and towards Hofbrauhaus & Englischer Garten, etc. No splitting hairs, as you are right.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,457 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How far from Marienplatz to the rail station?

dougb - thanks again, you are such a pro!! :) :) :)

Florida
Level Contributor
1,493 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How far from Marienplatz to the rail station?

That Main thru fare being MAXIMILLIAN Str... Sorry.