We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place for breakfast?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Best place for breakfast?

S.O. and I will be in Munich over Easter weekend. We will be staying at the Dorint Sofitel Bayerpost and unfortunately breakfast is not included in our rate. Although I do love hotel breakfasts, I just can't handle paying 22 euros per person. Does anyone have a recommendation of a restaurant / cafe serving good breakfast in the city?

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place for breakfast?

walking distance from your Hotel (ca. 800m):

Cafe am Beethovenplatz (below Pension Mariandl)

Goethestrasse 51

hotelmariandl.de/karte/karte.html#fruehstueck

popular and good breakfast places (always full!) with public transport (walk east on Bayerstrasse until you reach Karlsplatz, then take tram no. 27 to the north, ca. 3 stops to museum "Pinakothek"):

Café Tresznjewski (ca. 2 km from your hotel)

Theresienstrasse 72

http://www.tresznjewski.de/fr.htm

Café Puck (ca. 2 km from your hotel)

Tuerkenstrasse 33

http://www.cafe-puck.de/

Austin
Level Contributor
920 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place for breakfast?

One of our favorite places for kaffee und kuchen also does a nice continental breakfast

Cafe Arzmiller

Theatinerhof, 22 Theatinerstrasse

http://_1290wx82s.schlemmerregion.de/

(website in German with photos)

Chicago
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place for breakfast?

Any suggestions for closer to Rosenheimer Platz? Having been before, I know that most places are open somewhat early on weekdays (8am) but is it the same on Sundays?

Essex, UK
Level Contributor
58 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place for breakfast?

Isn't this Dorint by the Hauptbahnhof?

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place for breakfast?

The Dorint is at the Hauptbahnhof, nowhere near Rosenheimer Platz. But to answer the previous question, there actually is a nice Café directly at Rosenheimer Platz, at the corner where Franziskanerstr. starts. It is called "Das Cafehaus", I think, but you can't miss it, it is on a corner and has outside tables as well and is decorated in warm terracotta tones, with an artitistic ceramic mosaic on the floor. Oh, and the food is excellent as well!

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place for breakfast?

The Dorint is at the Hauptbahnhof, nowhere near Rosenheimer Platz. But to answer the previous question, there actually is a nice Café directly at Rosenheimer Platz, at the corner where Franziskanerstr. starts. It is called "Das Cafehaus", I think, but you can't miss it, it is on a corner and has outside tables as well and is decorated in warm terracotta tones, with an artistic ceramic mosaic on the floor. Oh, and the food is excellent as well!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place for breakfast?

Thanks for the suggestions. We just returned from a lovely weekend in Munich, and it was nice to have some tips!

Yes, this is the Dorint near the Hauptbanhof - great hotel, by the way. I will be posting a review shortly.

We ended up going to Cafe Puck on our first day. We walked from the hotel - not the shortest walk, but we were going to that area anyway (it is in the area with several art museums - we were heading to the Modern Pinakothek) so we made a stroll out of it. LOVED Cafe Puck. There were some tables outside but no one was out there yet so we went inside. The front room is lovely and light. We ended up in the middle room, which is a bit less charming and happens to be the smoking area, but we just went with the flow. I had blueberry pancakes. (I know, I know, not very German, but I am an American living in Paris and haven't had blueberry panckaes in AGES. I must say, they were some of the best I have ever had - anywhere!) S.O. had a traditional German breakfast of boiled egg, bread, butter, cold cuts and cheese, and said it was very good as well.

Sunday we tried to go to Cafe Arzmiller, but it was Easter Sunday and they weren't open yet at 10:30 am. We consulted our trusty Lonely Planet and ended up at Cafe Literatur or something like that. The setting was lovely - high ceilings, great wood floors, nice view - but the breakfast was a bit of a letdown after Cafe Puck. I had yougurt with fresh fruit and S.O. had bread and cheese. It was a bit more expensive for not as much food, and service wasn't nearly as friendly. It wasn't bad - it was just a fairly limited selection for breakfast.

On Monday, we consulted the guide again to find something in the area near where we were starting our sightseeing, and ended up at the Forum. Young, hip, trendy, but enough of a mixed crowd to make it friendly. Great service. I had the "Fit for Fun", which consisted of fresh squeezed OJ and a huge crepe stuffed with a museli / walnut / honey / cream concoction and smothered with plain yogurt and fresh fruit. Much better than it sounds! S.O. had a special Easter breakfast with eggs benedict, bread, cold cuts, cheese, and some sort of cake. All very tasty. We ended up eating on stools at a counter in the window because they were all booked up - apparently, it is a very popular place for brunch!

We didn't make it to Cafe Tresznjewski - we walked in front of it on our last afternoon and it looked very nice. If only we had had one more morning...

Thanks again, and happy travels!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
57 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place for breakfast?

Great post and glad you had such a fantastic weekend. The "Fit for fun" you mention sounds incredibly tasty, too!

9. Re: Best place for breakfast?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 am, August 30, 2009