We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VAT refund office in Munich

Mokhotlong, Lesotho
Level Contributor
2,618 posts
Save Topic
VAT refund office in Munich

I don't want you to have the run-around I was given by an ignorant customs lady. I didn't know VAT refund procedures had changed as I don't travel to Munich that often these days. Iwent to the place I knew off and got sent to the new place to get told that I need to check in first. Back all the way to to check-in, and back to customs....

In the past every terminal had a customs post where you could get your invoices stamped.

Bills for VAT refund can now get stamped only in a specially assigned customs office (and it seems to be the only such office) in Terminal C?

You have to check-in your luggage first, tell the airline clerk that you want your case back for customs inspection, then you go to the customs station in Terminal C?, get the stamp, show your items if requested. Customs will then send your case directly down the hatch.

Sorry, I can't remember if it was Terminal C but it must be as I checked in in B and it was way down the terminal.

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,088 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: VAT refund office in Munich

Nearly all countries around the world access a VAT tax at different rates on Goods and Services. For European countries, the rate ranges from a low of 7.6% in Switzerland to a high of 25% in Sweden.

On January 1, 2007, the standard VAT tax rate in Germany increased 3% to 19%. For Goods that qualify for a refund, the amount that will be refunded by Global Refund is 14.5%. Prior to 01/01/2007 the refund amount for Germany was 12.7%.

A ‘How to get your Refund’ guide including a map for the Munich airport can be found at - www.globalrefund.com/default.asp…

If you are interested in the VAT and Sales Tax rates for different countries there is a table at - deloitte.com/dtt/…00.html

For those not familiar with the VAT tax and refund process, there is a good overview at - europeforvisitors.com/europe/articles/taxfre…

Mokhotlong, Lesotho
Level Contributor
2,618 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: VAT refund office in Munich

Tks for the info.

However, not all shops use Global Refund facilities. I never go through Global Refund as I have to pay a hefty commission to them. I rather collect the money from the shop directly on my next trip to MUC or ask them to send it to my account. This, of course, only works for people who return to MUC on a regular basis.

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,088 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: VAT refund office in Munich

Several thoughts.

True, not all retail locations participate with VAT refund companies. Retailers are not compelled to offer a VAT refund. It is a service that requires additional paperwork for them. Usually only major department stores and shops that caterer to tourist offer VAT refunds.

Not true, that you pay a hefty commission to Global Refund. The amount that is refunded is based upon the amount you paid after the VAT tax was added. As an example for Germany:

1) item valued at 100 € sells for 119 € after the tax is added,

2) the refund is 14.5% of 119 € or 119 x .145 = 17.25 € refund.

With regards to Global Refund, one thing that I do not understand is that, to qualify for a refund, there are different purchase minimums for each country. In Germany the minimum is 25 €, in Austria the minimum is 75 €, in the UK the minimum is 30 £ and in Spain the minimum is 90 € before the retailer will fill out the refund paperwork. Perhaps it is the government that sets the amount. www.globalrefund.com/default.asp…

Actually, it is the government that makes the refund process cumbersome. Obviously, it is to their advantage that you NOT go through the process of claiming the refund.

There was a recent article in the Times of London newspaper. They conducted a review of VAT refund records and found that over a 8 year period the amount of UNCLAIMED refunds exceeded the amount of all VAT tax collected in 1 year.

4. Re: VAT refund office in Munich

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 pm, August 26, 2009