We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Neuschwanstein & Hohenschwangau Castles

Which Hohenschwangau hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,732 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Neuschwanstein & Hohenschwangau Castles

For a visit to both Neuschwanstein & Hohenschwangau Castles, how much time should be allocated for a visit? Does it matter which castle to tour first? Can someone share or describe the logistics of visiting both? We will have a car, do we drive from one castle to the other, or are they in walkable distances? Appreciate any suggested itinerary for visiting both, as well as time considerations required. Thank you.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,154 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Neuschwanstein & Hohenschwangau Castles

www.hohenschwangau.de will have the pertinent information on visiting these two palaces. It makes no difference which you visit first. You pay to park in a parking lot in Hohenschwangau which sits in a valley between the the palaces. Hohenschwangau is an easy walk up to it, and there is also horse carriages going to it which park at a different place than the ones going to Neuschwanstein. The walk up to Neuschwanstein is steep and involves a fairly large elevation change. You can also take a horse carriage up to it, or a bus (up the road a little ways from the carriages) goes to the Marienbruecke (bridge) above it which has nice views of this palace from above. Then you'll have to walk down to where the horse carriage drops off its passengers. From there it is an easy short uphill walk to the entrance on the farside of the palace where you wait for your tour.

You can walk down from either palace, and if you choose to do the carriage from Neuschwanstein it is somewhat cheaper than going down than the other direction.

Tickets are purchased ahead of time for both palaces in the ticket office below in the village. You will be given a choice of tour times and tour languages. Note that there is only one tour offered for each castle and it is done through this ticket office. You can also reserve tickets online for both tours. That have to be picked up at least an hour before the first tour. Doing this will avoid the neccessity of standing in a long line to purchase tickets for the tours that are still available, and it's possible that all could be sold out.

Both tours take well under an hour.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
3,989 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Neuschwanstein & Hohenschwangau Castles

Hi,

While both tours take about 30 to 40 min. each, it all depends on how crowded it is there. The first time we visited Neuschwanstein we waited about an hour for our tour. The second time, we were staying in Fuessen and got to the castle's at 8:30am and took the first tours. No waiting. Hohenschwangau was less crowded both times, although I found Hohenschwangau to be the better tour.

For Neuschwanstein, I'd recommend taking the shuttle bus up to Marienbrucke, walk down to the castle and after the tour, either walk down or take the carriage. We walked up to Neuschwanstein the first visit and wouldn't do that again.

Paul

SGF, MO
Level Contributor
7,268 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Neuschwanstein & Hohenschwangau Castles

3 1/2 hours for the site is plenty in my book. The tours are short and rushed, and the village is small. With a liesurely lunch included, you would be bored unless you wanted to hike somewhere else. Frankly, it was far from the highlight of my trip though the scenery from the Neuschwanstein castle was beautiful and typically Bavarian.

4. Re: Visiting Neuschwanstein & Hohenschwangau Castles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:41 am, July 11, 2011
Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
10 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Neuschwanstein & Hohenschwangau Castles

The actual tour time of each castle is 30 - 45 min.

The time from start to finish is about four hours.

In my experience (10 times to castles) you ALWAYS tour Hohenschwangau castle first, followed an hour and 30 minites later Neuschwanstein. This give you time to take one of three options to get up to the New Castle.

A. Walk to Hohenschwangau

B. Options to Neuschwanstein

1. Walk up to Neuschwanstein (long uphill walk)

2. Horse drawn buggy 6 Euro's and takes 30 min.

3. Bus up the Mary's Bridge and walk down, AND back up a much smaller portion of the hill 3 Euro's per person

The ticket office can be reached at the web address listed earlier, and advance reservations are HIGHLY recommended. The later in the day you go, the more crowded. The castle tours are on TIMED tickets so once you have your reservations, no worries.

Enjoy your holiday

Bob

snshinetv@aol.com

Bowie, Maryland
Level Contributor
369 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Neuschwanstein & Hohenschwangau Castles

We will be booking through Viator and will be traveling with my 76 year old mother, would you sugesst the horse and buggy or the bus for the uphill climb.

Thanks

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
3,989 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Neuschwanstein & Hohenschwangau Castles

Hi boo2U,

Depends, the bus lets you off at Marienbrucke, which is above the castle. iI's a short, but pretty steep walk down to it (paved walkway). The carriage lets you off just below the castle, so it's a short walk up to it. We took the bus up, walked down to the castle and after the tour, took the carriage back down. This way, all walking that had to be done was downhill.

Bowie, Maryland
Level Contributor
369 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Neuschwanstein & Hohenschwangau Castles

I guess I will have to talk it over with my mother to see what her preference is if we decide to tour the Neuschwanstein castle.

But........ does anyone know of someone that doesn't charge $700USD for a tour of the three castles, we wouldn't mind taking the train and bus.

I understand that doing all three means not going inside of one so... which one would you NOT go inside of?

this is what was written to me by a tour guide wanting $700 for the day:

"Neuschwanstein itself can be seen from below but is not recommend for anyone with a walking problem.

I recommend Linderhof Palace and Hohenschwangau Castle viewing Neuschwanstein Castle from below on the outside, as it only has one finished floor with 6 rooms. There is not enough time to go inside all three castles in one day.

Neuschwanstein Castle has 357 steps and is not good for anyone who cannot walk extremely well."

Any advice?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
3,989 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Neuschwanstein & Hohenschwangau Castles

Hi,

In my opinion, Linderhof is the most amazing inside. If I had to choose from those 3, I'd pick Linderhof, no question.

Paul

Bowie, Maryland
Level Contributor
369 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Neuschwanstein & Hohenschwangau Castles

Hey Paul, but which other castle would you pick to see inside?

like he states, can't do all three in one day, must see one from the outside. Which would you select to see from the outside?