We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice to neuschwansteinCastle- how far?

perth west aust
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Venice to neuschwansteinCastle- how far?

We will be travelling up from Venice in June 2011 by car can anyone tell me how long this roadtrip will take. Is it achievable in 1 day and what would be the best route and most scenic to take.

Was thinking of going via Verona and along Lake Garda.

Also which hotel would be most convenient to stay at?

Many thanks

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,750 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Venice to neuschwansteinCastle- how far?

Driving information can be found at www.viamichelin.com , which in my experience has pretty good time estimates for trips. Use as your destination Hohenschwangau where the palace is. Also make sure that you purchase a vignette (sticker) for driving on Austrian autobahns if you use them as otherwise you are subject to large fines.

perth west aust
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Venice to neuschwansteinCastle- how far?

thank you marcopolo. I also read your replies in regards to the romantic road.

After the castle we plan to travel this road also ending up in Frankfurt.

Is it necessary to book hotels along the way or just take a chance on arrival?

It will be mid june by then.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,750 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Venice to neuschwansteinCastle- how far?

I don't really know if you need to book hotels or not, we live too close to overnight. If there is a place where you really want to stay, then I would make reservations to be on the safe side. For a great hotel in Hohenschwangau ( www.hohenschwangau.de ) consider Villa Jaegerhaus with close-up views of lit-up by night Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau Palaces from your room. If you would like to stay in a very old castle consider Burg Katzenstein ( www.burgkatzenstein.de ), the best preserved German castle of this age, which is close to Noerdlingen on the Romantic Road.

4. Re: Venice to neuschwansteinCastle- how far?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 27, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Hohenschwangau