We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Neuschwanstein -- How far exactly from Munich?

11 posts
Save Topic
Neuschwanstein -- How far exactly from Munich?

Hi, I'm planning a trip for my parents for June, 2010. My mom really wants to visit Neuschwanstein but I'm afraid it'll be too far out of our way (we're going to be in Salzburg with a weekend in Munich)

Has anyone taken a train/driven there themselves? How long did it take from Munich? Has anyone been there from Salzburg? (FYI, odds are we'll have a car -- but any advice about the trains would be helpful, too)

Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
39,341 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Neuschwanstein -- How far exactly from Munich?

Neuschwanstein is a day trip from Munich. And a very long day trip from Salzburg. Train route is via Munich - thus it does not make sense to do this as a day trip from Salzburg at all.

route planer if you want to go by car

DB timetable

To: Munich

To: Hohenschwangau

If you select as means of transport "only local transport" and start on a weekdays past 9am (no restriction on Sa or Su) you can use the Bayern Ticket (Bavaria Ticket) for these trips. EUR 28,00 for 2-5 persons. A day ticket covering all regional trains in Bavaria plus to/from Salzburg Hbf. Plus nearly all other local public transport, like the S-Bahn, U-Bahn, trams and buses in Munich. Or the buses from Füssen to Hohenschwangau.

2. Re: Neuschwanstein -- How far exactly from Munich?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, October 11, 2010