We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting Neuschwanstein

Aurora, IL
6 posts
Save Topic
visiting Neuschwanstein

I have a question about visiting Neuschwanstein I am hoping I can get some help with.

I am travelling with a 3 yr old kid. I suspect she won't have the patience to stand in line and do the tour of the castle. Is it possible to go Marienbruecke and view the castle and hike around the area without having to buy the ticket for the castle? Will I be able to park my car anywhere in the area, even though I'm not visiting the castle?

Thanks for your help

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,193 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visiting Neuschwanstein

Hi,

You can "see" Neuschwanstein without buying tickets and touring it. Easiest way in my opinion (as it is a very steep, long walk up to Marienbrucke and Neuschwanstein), especially with a 3 year old is:

Park in one of the lots (about 4.50 Euro to park) and take the shuttle bus up (and back down) to Marienbrucke. You do not need tickets to do this. You can also walk (or take a carriage ride) to see Hohenschwangau Castle from the outside and walk around.

There's a play park, luge ride and cable car about a mile from Neuschwanstein at Tegelberg.

www.schwangau.de/the-summer-luge-636.html

Paul

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,196 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visiting Neuschwanstein

If you are going during the busy summer tourist season, there will probably be quite a long line to get into the parking lot. You might consider parking in nearby Fuessen and riding the bus from there (the bus will be marked "Schloss") to avoid the line for the parking lot. The bus drops passengers off at the tourist info center.

Taking the shuttle bus up to Marienbrucke is a good option. She might prefer going in the carriage, though. The carriage driver let my daughter sit on the front bench, directly behind the horse, which she enjoyed immensely.

3. Re: visiting Neuschwanstein

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, February 05, 2010