We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegetarian Food

Suffolk
Level Contributor
23 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Vegetarian Food

Can anybody tell me if there is much vegetarian food around in this area of Germany? I know it's a sausage eaters dream! But can anyone who's been there remember any vege food on the menu?

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,196 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vegetarian Food

I know there is a Nordsea restaurant which features fish in Fuessen. Also some places actually specialize in potatoes, especially the potato pancake called something like "rostki." Somebody more familiar with German food can probably give you the exact name.

Suffolk
Level Contributor
23 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vegetarian Food

Now I have returned from Seeg to visit Neuschwanstein Castle I can tell you that there is very little vegetarian food! There is one nice dish called Spatzle. Which is noodle like pasta with cheese. OK for one meal, a bit heavy to eat night after night!

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vegetarian Food

This is tourist town, Germany. They cater to tourists, so I'm sure your request isn't new to the townfolk, so just ask.

The German word for vegetables is gemuese.

And Germans love salat (salad) as much as the next granola lover. You'll see it on most menus and they're usually HUGE.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,871 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vegetarian Food

Most restaurants in the part of Germany I am most familiar with (the south) usually have at least 1-3 specifically vegetarian dishes on the menu, other things as previously mentioned may also fit your definition of vegetarian. Restaurants have their menus posted outside their doors so you can check them before entering, but if you can't read German, perhaps take a small tourist's German/English dictionary to help you translate, although many place may also have English menus.

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,842 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vegetarian Food

There is a lot of vegetarian food if you look for it. We just had "spargel" season where every restaurant in town had various asparagus dishes on the menu. Many kinds of noodles or rice, fried potatoes, mushroom dishes (look for pfifferlinge or austern or steinpilze), or baked camembert will be available, and you know, you can also ask for a vegetable platter in many restaurants. Big salads are almost always on the menu, spinach is popular, as are leeks, cabbage, broccoli, wirsing (sort of like kale) cauliflower, grilled aubergine and zucchini, pumpkin soup, and many kinds of beans. You can also go to ethnic restaurants too, have some falafel, or noodles with pesto, rissotto with mushrooms, tortellini or ravioli stuffed with ricotta and spinach or mushrooms - perhaps with a sage or saffron sauce, or fried veg with tofu at Asian places or some nice Indian vegetable curries. If eggs are not a problem, try some Kaiserschmarm.

Potato pancakes are good and will be sold under various names, like Kartoffelpuffer, or Reibekuchen. Rostis are a smaller form and will be found more in Switzerland. Also knödel or klöse, which are a form of potato dumplings, though also made out of bread in which case they will be called semmel knödel.

I am sure I do not have the right Bavarian names for many of these menu items as each region has its own slang, so perhaps someone will jump in here and give you the correct names to look for on a menu.

6. Re: Vegetarian Food

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 21, 2009