We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scaffolding around Schloss Neuschwanstein?

Which Hohenschwangau hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tinley Park...
Level Contributor
90 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Scaffolding around Schloss Neuschwanstein?

I've seen some photos on the Internet with scaffolding around Schloss Neuschwanstein? Are these old photos (hopefully), or is the castle currently undergoing some renovation?

Ulm, Germany
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
447 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scaffolding around Schloss Neuschwanstein?

I'd just send them email :-)

Tinley Park...
Level Contributor
90 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scaffolding around Schloss Neuschwanstein?

?

San Luis Obispo...
Level Contributor
32 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scaffolding around Schloss Neuschwanstein?

I am traveling to Neuschwanstein castle this September 09 and noticed the same scaffolding in recent Internet photos taken from Marienbrucke.

On some other blogs, people mentioned that it looks like there is ongoing renovations at the caslle through 2011.

I am an avid photographer and was planning the day (and lighting) around taking some great shots. I am excited to see the interior, but the exterior was a main interest. This is a huge disappointment, and we might skip the castle on this trip.

If anyone has any updates on if/when the scaffolding might come down, let me know!

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
392 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scaffolding around Schloss Neuschwanstein?

I just wrote an email and got a response which is

just the south side of the castle is covered in scaffolding. At the other sides are nothing.

Does anyone know if this is the main side of the castle? Will this side be visible from the bridge?

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
392 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scaffolding around Schloss Neuschwanstein?

I just found a photo which shows that the bridge view is covered with scaffolding.

…wordpress.com/category/…

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,889 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Scaffolding around Schloss Neuschwanstein?

> Does anyone know if this is the main side of the castle?

What is the main site? On the direct way to Neuschwanstein you rather see the west, north and east side of it.

See map at bottom of this page:

http://www.hohenschwangau.de/545.0.html

> Will this side be visible from the bridge?

Yes. The south side of the castle is facing the bridge.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
392 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scaffolding around Schloss Neuschwanstein?

By main side I meant - the side of the bridge/ main entrance. If the scaffolding was on the side which you don't see anyway I won't have bothered. But when you are on the hill you want good views of the castle and some good pictures.

Thanks for you response anyway.

Tinley Park...
Level Contributor
90 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scaffolding around Schloss Neuschwanstein?

Now that we've returned from our trip, I'd like to share what we saw. As you drive towards Neuschwanstein, and you see the castle up on the hill, you cannot see the scaffolding. When you are down at the bottom of the hill (near Hohenschwangau Castle and the hotels), looking up at Neuschwanstein, you can't really see the scaffolding, either. When you are standing on Marienbrucke Bridge, yes, definitely, you can see that the side of the castle facing the bridge is entirely covered in scaffolding and cloth. The view from the bridge is still impressive, but you will be disappointed if you planning on taking photos/videos from this viewpoint.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
392 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scaffolding around Schloss Neuschwanstein?

Yes you are right. Especially when I was planning to take all equipment (tripod/ lenses) etc it has just disappointed me. I would probably cancel my trip this time but unfortunately the scaffolding is supposed to be there for next 3 years!

Tinley Park...
Level Contributor
90 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Scaffolding around Schloss Neuschwanstein?

We didn't ask anyone how long the scaffolding would be up, and we didn't see any signs. Hopefully when they take THAT scaffolding down in 2011, they won't set it up on the opposite side.

Anyway, I think the best views are from the bridge, unless you have the climbing/hiking skills to go up the big hill facing the entrance side of the castle, so that you can get the lakes and mountains in the background. That would be the ultimate, but there are no motor buses or horse drawn wagons to take you to that view (as there are to the bridge or the other side entrance).