We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Castle Tickets

NC
Level Contributor
119 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Castle Tickets

Hey Experts!! :)

If my train arrives in Hohenschwangau at 9:23 on a Saturday morning in April, what time do you suggest I make for my castle (Hohenschwangau and Neuchwanstein)ticket reservations. I was told to leave plenty of time to get to the castle and view the area, but what is "plenty of time"? I will be with my teenage son and we travel fast. Thanks, K

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,574 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Castle Tickets

> If my train arrives in Hohenschwangau at 9:23

Füssen to Hohenschwangau is by bus

> what time do you suggest I make for my castle (Hohenschwangau and Neuchwanstein)ticket reservations.

You have to collect the online reserved ticket latest 1 hour before your tour starts.

Thus at earliest you can book for 10:30. 11:00 would be better.

> I was told to leave plenty of time to get to the castle and view the area, but what is "plenty of time"?

That's already taken into account by the fact that you have to collect your tickets latest 1 hour before your tour starts.

Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Castle Tickets

There are 3 ways to get to the Neuschwanstein castle, either walking which is free, by horse drawn carriage which costs 6 euro for the trip up and 3 euro for the trip down, and by bus, which is 1.80 euro up and 1 euro down (or 2.60 for both). Both the bus and carriage still require a bit of walking. The website says it takes about 30 minutes to walk up to the castle, that is a generous amount of time. I don't remember it taking my family that long.

Here is the link to the website, giving you more information if you wish http://www.neuschwanstein.com/index.htm.

Have fun!!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,687 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Castle Tickets

To clarify, the ticket office is in the village. After receiving your tickets for a specific tour time picking them up at least an hour before for the tour with reservations, you will then have to go up to the palaces, Hohenschwangau is much closer and not as high as Neuschwanstein and should take a few minutes. I think the mentioned 20 minute walk up is ample time as I'm sure that it has taken me much less time, but there are also people who post here who say it takes much longer. It probably has a lot to do with what shape you're in as Neuschwanstein sits fairly high above the village. I always enjoy taking the horse drawn carriage up, and from where they let you out you probably will have time to go up to the Marienbruecke (bridge) for some nice views down on Neuschwanstein, before returning back down, and finishing the not too steep walk up to the palace entrance for your tour.

The one hour wait between the beginning of your tour and receiving of your tickets should be enough time for anyone to get up to Neuschwanstein by any of the means, if they are somewhat physically fit. If not, then the tour through the palace will be strenuous also with a lot of steps.

Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Castle Tickets

We are ording our tickets online. We will arrive the day before and stay in Fussen. The that morning get the bus to Neuschwanstein. You said we should pick up our tickets in the "Village"....where's that? Is the a part of the castle?

Please help. and thanks for the info.

GoJustin

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,687 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Castle Tickets

The village of Hohenschwangau is at the foot of the hills that the two palaces (Neuschwanstein, Hohenschwangau) are on. The village is quite small, and the bus stop is near to the ticket office. If you want to walk up, I would recommend the route through the forest from the parking lot on the Neuschwanstein side of the road, and not walking on the road going up there.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,749 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Castle Tickets

Ticket center Hohenschwangau website with explanation and photo: www.hohenschwangau.de/ticketcenter0.0.html

7. Re: Castle Tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:21 am, November 16, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Hohenschwangau