We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Bavarian Castles

Naperville, IL
Level Contributor
35 posts
59 reviews
The Bavarian Castles

Is it worth it to take tours of Neushwantstein, Hohenschangau, and Linderhof, or is touring the grounds enough? I am trying to do all in one day.

8 replies to this topic
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
40,744 posts
1. Re: The Bavarian Castles

car: no problem

by public transport: possible if you stay nearby, as a day trip from Munich rather not

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
104 posts
24 reviews
2. Re: The Bavarian Castles

Hoohenschwangau is the only "Real" Castle , going on from the medieval times and actually serving the Regal family as residence for centuries. Neuschwanstein and Linderhof are crazy projects of a "crazy" last king of Bavaria Ludwig the 2nd built by him to reflect his fairy tale ideas which eventually ruined the Bavarian state before WW1 so they both are just over 100 yrs old which is brand new in castle ages.....but definitely interesting. Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein are next to each other and could be done in one day ( Ludwig 2Nd grew up in Hohenschwangau looking his whole childhood to the spot where he put Neuschwanstein when he got to be King) . Linderhof is decorated in 1000 nights arab fairy tale style and you need to travel to that one a bit further

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,828 posts
300 reviews
3. Re: The Bavarian Castles

Why travel all that way and not see inside? All 3 have quite different interiors and Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau are easily done with prebooked tickets, all very efficient. Your choice of course, but I am glad I saw all 3, I would have regretted only viewing from the outside.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,300 posts
33 reviews
4. Re: The Bavarian Castles

Go in all three. Yes you can see all in a day. Again, why go all that way and not take the tours?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
2,814 posts
159 reviews
5. Re: The Bavarian Castles

I took the tours 40+ years ago - 2x. Ho-hum. A friend took a tour recently - herded like cattle was his comment. Why tour 2x? Both times as a student and we had to go. But I do remember. Maybe that’s a plus.

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
21 posts
8 reviews
6. Re: The Bavarian Castles

I will be travelling from Munich for a day-trip and hope to see both Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein (with the tours). I am leaning towards using a Bayern Ticket to take me there. Unfortunately I believe this is only for trains that run from 9am onwards, which means the earliest arrival time at Fuessen is around 12 noon (according to the DB schedule) and then I have to make my way to the ticket centre at Hohenschwangau.

As I intend to pre-order my ticket online to visit both castles, my question is what time should I book my tour at Hohenschwangau, as I understand the tickets must be picked up at least an hour before the designated tour time? I want to make sure I have enough time to make the journey from Munich and also have sufficient time to visit both the castles before they close for the day.

Would appreciate your replies and advice on this. Thank you.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
40,744 posts
7. Re: The Bavarian Castles

> Unfortunately I believe this is only for trains that run from 9am onwards

a) only on weekdays. On Sa or Su or public holidays (15. Aug.) there is no such restriction.

b) depending on the day there are also connections from Munich Hbf shortly before 9am which depart from Munich-Pasing at 09:00 or later. Than you need to buy additionally only a single trip ticket for Munich (EUR 2,90) and travel from Munich-Pasing on a Bayern Ticket.

> , as I understand the tickets must be picked up at least an hour before the designated tour time?

at least 90 minutes now

Slow walkers need one hour alone to reach the castles.

> I want to make sure I have ... sufficient time to visit both the castles before they close for the day.

The ticket center will take care of this. You'll be assigned on tours you can make it to.

And a common mistake is to rush back to Munich. Füssen is a really nice Bavaria town. And the later trains are also less crowded.

https://en.fuessen.de/romantic-soul.html

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
21 posts
8 reviews
8. Re: The Bavarian Castles

Thank you for your reply @abalada. I will look into the alternative travel plans that you have suggested. And yes I do intend to look around Fussen before heading back to Munich, which makes the scheduling and timing even more crucial.

Reply to: The Bavarian Castles
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted