We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

timing of Neushwanstein and Hohenschangau

Barrington, New...
Level Contributor
39 posts
33 reviews
timing of Neushwanstein and Hohenschangau

Hello, planning on taking the train from munich on our own and would like to do both castles but not sure if it's possible timing-wise. We would take the 9:52 train, arrive in fussen at 11:55. Best case scenario we get right on a bus to the ticket center and get there by 12:30. But I have to pick up pre-ordered tickets 90 minutes in advance, so the earliest time slot we would ask for would be 2pm for Hohenschwangau and I understand if I get the King's ticket they will assign a time period for Neuschwanstein. We hope to take the 18:06 train back to Munich, so say we get a 17:00 bus back to fussen to be on the safe side. So do we have time to do both castle tours between 2pm and 5pm? It will be in December, so worst case scenario if the shuttle to marienbrucke isn't running it's a 30-40 minute walk to Neuschwanstein and 20 minute walk to Hohenschwangau. Hmmm now that I write this out it seems like this would be cutting it very tight and not very enjoyable. Has anyone every done this within this time frame?

10 replies to this topic
Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
11,286 posts
66 reviews
1. Re: timing of Neushwanstein and Hohenschangau

That is all well doable.

I guess you are looking at the 9:52 train to comply with the 9-am-limit of the Bavaria Ticket. You may want to consider the 8:53 connection via Kaufbeuren. You'd just have to buy single-tickets from Munich Hbf to Pasing for a couple EUR extra. The train leaves Pasing at 9am when the Bavaria Ticket kicks-in. Would get you to Füssen an hour earlier.

Barrington, New...
Level Contributor
39 posts
33 reviews
2. Re: timing of Neushwanstein and Hohenschangau

That is a good idea. An extra hour would be good.

Beverly Hills...
Level Contributor
872 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: timing of Neushwanstein and Hohenschangau

so one must be there 90 min in advance to get the tickets? i see that on one page of the website, but on the page where you enter in how many tickets you want, i see this...

Date and preferred time of your tour in Hohenschwangau Castle:

(The entrance time at Neuschwanstein Castle follows after.)

Please note: pick up time at least 60 min earlier!

please advise. thanks

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
11,286 posts
66 reviews
4. Re: timing of Neushwanstein and Hohenschangau

It's 90 minutes since a couple months. Used to be 60. I guess they haven't updated every webpage yet.

Beverly Hills...
Level Contributor
872 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: timing of Neushwanstein and Hohenschangau

thanks. are they terribly strict about this?

we are coming from Lindau that morning and trying to plan. but unforseen things can happen. also, for instance, lets say i have to pick up tickets at 10:30am for 12pm tickets. what if i arrive at 1030, but the amount of time for me to park, walk up, wait in the line to retrieve tickets takes me to 1040am. do turn me away?

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
11,286 posts
66 reviews
6. Re: timing of Neushwanstein and Hohenschangau

Not necessarily send you away, but possibly put you on a later tour. If available and you agree they may also offer an earlier tour. Just keep in mind that this is a system trimmed to perfection to get 6.000 visitors a day through a building that was built for ONE person.

Beverly Hills...
Level Contributor
872 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: timing of Neushwanstein and Hohenschangau

got it, makes sense. thanks

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,461 posts
156 reviews
8. Re: timing of Neushwanstein and Hohenschangau

Instead of taking a day trip from Munich, you could spend the night before in Fuessen and enjoy that lovely little town too. Then, when you make advance reservations, you could request morning tickets.

Edited: 11:44 pm, May 11, 2018
Beverly Hills...
Level Contributor
872 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: timing of Neushwanstein and Hohenschangau

i actually emailed the castle's website customer service about this a few days ago and they got back to me and wrote me this.

Thank you for your kind request.

If you’d like to see both castles, you will start with Hohenschwangau Castle and then the earliest possible entrance time would be at least 2 hour after the tour in the first castle.

Because Hohenschwangau Castle is closer to the Ticket Center, you will have to pick up the tickets until 60 minutes before your tour starts. If you would start with Neuschwanstein Castle, you would have to pick up the tickets 90 minutes before your tour.

Best regards

Alexandra Gunkel

TICKET-SERVICE HOHENSCHWANGAU

Alpseestrasse 12

87645 Hohenschwangau

GERMANY

Telefon: 0049 (0)8362 / 930 83-0

Telefax: 0049 (0)8362 / 93083 20

„Experience the Wittelsbach history first-hand“ www.museumderbayerischenkoenige.de

Kabarett, Kleinkunst, Events auf unserer BLAUEN BÜHNE www.blaue-buehne-hohenschwangau.de

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
11,286 posts
66 reviews
10. Re: timing of Neushwanstein and Hohenschangau

That makes sense. Thanks for the update.

Reply to: timing of Neushwanstein and Hohenschangau
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted