We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to Withdrawn money using an US debit/credit card?

Margate, Florida...
2 posts
Save Topic
How to Withdrawn money using an US debit/credit card?

Im living in Erlangen and having trouble withdrawing money and also making purchase with my Mastercard issued card, because my card only has a magnetic strip and no EMV chip on it.

I have visited 5 different banks within the city to withdrawal money at the teller and all of them refuse to help, since my card does not contain a EMV chip.

My friends have tried to withdrawal money at a ATM machine, and the machine took the card.

Same thing happens at stores.

Would anyone know of any places to withdrawal money? Or a way to do it?

5 replies to this topic
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,869 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How to Withdrawn money using an US debit/credit card?

Just to clarify, you are using an ATM card issues by your bank? I have not had trouble using automats in Germany.

You might also search the ToyTown forum to see if other expat residents are facing similar issues.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
425 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to Withdrawn money using an US debit/credit card?

One other item is to look on the back of your card, see what symbols you have, for example Cirrus, some of the ATM's over there don't except certain ones, the ATM's at least at the back should have the same symbols that they accept. Oherwise you might call your bank, sometimes they have put a block on the ATM, even if I have called and let them know when and where I would be in Europe.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,764 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to Withdrawn money using an US debit/credit card?

As dlangner stated, it's always best to contact your bank BEFORE you travel overseas so that they do not block transactions with your debit or credit cards. Otherwise, they may consider such transactions possible fraud and not allow them. I think that this is your real problem as in eight years living in Germany I've never had any problems with either my debit or credit cards.

Plattsmouth Ne
Level Contributor
341 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to Withdrawn money using an US debit/credit card?

I use a credit card to pay hotel bills, and a debit card to buy euros from the ATM's; have never had any trouble. Be sure to check with your bank and credit card company regarding chips etc. before you go, and make sure they are informed of the dates you will be in your foreign location.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,188 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to Withdrawn money using an US debit/credit card?

Hi Debra S,

I also have a US debit card w/o a chip, and I use it to withdraw large sums from my US bank twice a month, like clockwork. I've never had any trouble.

Of course, my US bank knows that I live in Germany, and I told them that i need to withdraw large sums regularly, so they expect it.

As others said above, you need to contact your bank.

Hope you get it worked out!

s

Reply to: How to Withdrawn money using an US debit/credit card?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Erlangen